Flight center displays renovated planes during open house

Steven W. Echard Photo Editor

Students move a Piper Seminole outside after it was on display.

The Aviation Program at the University has been given a new set of wings.

The Bowling Green Flight Center hosted an event in the Wood County airport hangar displaying three renovated planes, a Piper Seminole and two Cessna C172 Skyhawks, for aviation students to use.

The renovations were paid for by North Star Aviation, a flight education company that works with the University’s aviation program and cost about $2 million. The renovations included new exteriors and new electronic systems, said Kevin Doering, general manager of the BG Flight Center.

Doering said there was nothing wrong with the planes, but said it’s good to have a new look and some updated technology.

Venu Dasigi, interim dean of the college of technology, said the partnership with North Star Aviation has been very beneficial to the aviation program.

He said he likes that these renovations are in the hands of a private company because they help with the investment, rather than the University.

“It’s a win-win. It’s a beneficial partnership,” he said.

Senior Dillon Stiger is excited about the renovated planes and thinks it’s what the students and instructors deserve.

“I definitely think it’s going to give the students more confidence,” Stiger said.

Doering said he thinks the renovations will make recruiting new students easier and will motivate current students to further pursue their degree.

“Any time you can have something new is going to be a definite plus,” he said. “Everybody likes to think they have a good place to learn.”

Doering said the aviation program will double in two to three years and the renovations are a part of that plan.

A flight simulator will also be offered to students next fall, Doering said.

President Mary Ellen Mazey made an appearance at the event and said the renovations will benefit aviation students.

She said she’d been in the planes before and is ready to go up again in the newly renovated ones.

“I think [the renovations are] absolutely wonderful,” she said. “I think this will give them greater opportunities.”

Flight instructor Rich Gannon said he is glad the students have renovated planes because it will make them get more involved and make them proud to be a student.

“Hopefully it will draw students in. A sharp looking plane grabs attention,” Gannon said. “We needed it for years I think it will pick up the program like it used to be.”