3,700 guests gathered to discuss manga, TV shows; share art at Animarathon

On Saturday, an estimated 3,700 people packed the Union to celebrate one thing: their love of anime at Animarathon XII.

Thousands of colorful and eccentric costumes were just a small part of the convention, which was organized by University organization Anime in Northwest Ohio and welcomed anime fans of all ages.

Senior Rachel Gast, marketing director of ANO, said the convention went smoothly and the club had a positive reaction from both attendees and presenters.

“I think it was the best [convention] I’ve been a part of,” Gast said. “This is my fourth and final year.”

More than 50 vendors and artists came to sell their work, including senior Chloe Rose, who sold her art in the convention’s Artist Alley.

“I have a combination of digital and traditional prints that are fan art from preexisting series,” Rose said.

Other vendors included student creations, anime themed items and even chainmail made by the local Dragon Brothers Chainmaille.

The convention had three well-known speakers in attendance: Marianne Miller, an anime voice actor; Dirk Manning, horror comic writer and Martin “Little Kuriboh” Billany, a YouTube personality and voice actor.

Gast said the speakers were pleased with the turnout and enjoyed the enthusiasm of the audience.

“I liked meeting Little Kuriboh and Marianne Miller and them telling me they liked the convention,” Gast said.

Manning, a horror comic writer, was another of the speakers. Manning, usually a speaker at comic conventions, is also a University alumnus.

Manning told Gast that he enjoyed speaking at his first anime convention at his alma mater.

Attendees could also play tabletop and video games, watch their favorite anime movies screened in the Union theater and attend one of the nearly 50 panels put together by anime experts and University students.

Attendee Darian Hacker said her favorite part of the convention was the people and the cosplay because of how much fun it adds to the atmosphere but she did attend some of the panels.

“The Equestria panel was the only one that I saw that I was interested in,” Hacker said.

Other events throughout the day included a cosplay competition, a burlesque show and a rave that ended the convention.

Gast said the convention would not have been possible without the help of her fellow ANO members, the gaming society and the union staff.

“You should go and explore things like this to discover a different side of popular culture,” Rose said.