Valentine’s Soiree to close out Fashion Week

FadWatch will be hosting their first annual formal dance for Valentine’s Day on Saturday night.

The Red Velvet Soiree will be $3 to get in or people can give a donation of new or lightly used clothing. The event is Feb. 15 from 7-10 p.m. in the Union Ballroom.

Senior Ajia Mason, FadWatch president, said the fee to get in is going to a good cause.

“A portion of the funds will go to the River Center Clinic,” Mason said. “The clothing donations will go to the Boys and Girls Club,” she said.

The River Center Clinic in Toledo helps people with eating disorders.

Junior Kristian Calhoun, FadWatch treasurer, said this dance is a better alternative to going downtown for students.

“We just wanted to create an event where people could get dressed up more formally instead of just going downtown every weekend, and then incorporate it into Valentine’s Day,” Calhoun said.

FadWatch has planned the events of Fashion Week to lead up to the dance, Calhoun said.

“We have the pamper party that is to get ready for Saturday,” he said.

Junior Clarissa Beavers plans to attend the event.

“I expect it to be a very classy, upscale event,” Beavers said. “I feel that it is a good idea because it is well overdue for our campus.”

The event will have a red carpet, a disc jockey and a dessert table for the students to enjoy, Calhoun said.

Mason said they will also be crowning a King and Queen of the event but she did not want the event to be just another popularity contest with a traditional vote for King and Queen.

Since FadWatch is a fashion organization, they will choose the best dressed students at the event and the attendees will choose the winners of King and Queen of the night.

“We even bought crowns for them,” said Calhoun.

Mason said they hope to make this a recurring event for every year.

“We want to start doing this every year,” Mason said. “We are planning on doing this annually around this time every year.”

Mason said they want this event to be something fun for students to do during Valentine’s weekend.

“It is for students to dress up, have fun and relax,” she said.