Men’s basketball to continue rivalry with Toledo Thursday

The men’s basketball team will be presented with a unique opportunity Thursday.

They have the chance to play the University of Toledo twice in the regular season something that has not been done in head coach Louis Orr’s time at BG.

“This is the first year we have played them twice in the regular season since I’ve been here…. that is unique.” Orr said. “The rivalry against Toledo is a little separate from the big picture. The big picture is it’s another MAC game.”

The 13th Mid-American Conference game for the Falcons will host the finale of the two-game series against The University of Toledo. This will mark the first time the two teams played each other twice in the regular season since the 2005-06 season when each team won their home game. Toledo would get the best of the Falcons that year in the MAC Tournament.

“Any time you get a chance to play somebody a second time at home you want to give yourself a chance to be successful,” Orr said.

In their last match up on Feb. 5, 6,031 fans packed Savage Arena to watch the Rockets defeat the Falcons by a score of 83-76. The Falcons started from behind in that game, trailing by 16 at one time. They came back and cut the lead to one point, but were never able to gain a lead.

“I would like to get out to a better start and not fall down early like we did,” Orr said. “We fight and we keep playing. We did that at Toledo.”

In that game the Falcons got into foul trouble early and often as Toledo shot 35 total free throws making 82 percent of them.

“We have to be aggressive. What’s good for them is good for us,” Orr said. “The less they are attacking the basket the better chance you have in not fouling.”

The Falcons have been getting off to better starts in their past two games as they led Kent State 13-0 early and Ball State 13-4. Despite the good start, the game at Ball State came down to the last possession. But the Falcons got a defensive stop and were able to leave Indiana with the win.

With only six games left in the season, the Falcons are currently sitting at 5-7 in the MAC and tied for last in the MAC East division. Toledo is currently 9-3 in the MAC and tied for first place in the MAC West division.

“We want to be more successful at home,” Orr said. “Every game you are trying to play for a MAC Tournament seeding . . . You have to be motivated and excited for every game.”

The Battle of I-75 rivalry season finale will be Thursday night at 7 p.m. aired on ESPNU as a part of the Athletic Department’s “48 Hours of Orange” promotion.

“The fact that it’s Toledo, it adds more to it,” Orr said. “The fans come out and the atmosphere is a little more lively – that’s great. But there is a reason to come out and compete every game.”