Student teachers allowed to graduate despite snow days

Seniors may get anxiety when it comes to getting enough credits in order to graduate. This is the case for senior Amanda Reisner.

She said she was nervous because she is a student teacher and needs a certain amount of time teaching in schools, but that opportunity was shortened because of the numerous snow days this year.

There was a rumor going around that students would have to make up days or weeks of teaching that were missed in order to graduate, Reisner said.

However, students teaching can rest easy because they are not going to be held from graduating, said Associate Dean for Student and Academic Affairs Mary Murray.

“The University requires teaching students to have 16 weeks worth of experience, but the state only requires 12,” she said. “We know that students have had trouble and might not get the full 16 weeks, so they will be okay.”

Dean of the College of Education Brad Colwell ensured that students will not be held back from graduation because of the snow days.

“We will not make anybody stay longer; they can’t help the snow days were so long,” he said. “The state says there has to be a certain amount of time but we will work through that. So these folks don’t have to worry.”

Murray said there may be some days the schools will choose to make up some snow days but students will not be required to do any after graduation.

Reisner thought she might have to make up the time during finals week, but thanks to one of her professors, she now knows she won’t be responsible for that.

However, she still feels like the snow days are making a difference on her.

“I am getting affected by this because I don’t have as many opportunities to get experience,” she said. “Though, I am getting experience of what to do when this happens and know how to fix my lessons. There’s pros and cons.”

Reisner is concerned about the students she is teaching and how they will be affected.

“Teachers are being rushed because we have to do everything faster and take out the fun stuff to get what needs done, done,” she said. “It’s a very frustrating experience over all but I know what to do in future now.”