County considers declaring snow emergency

Update:

A level two or three snow emergency could be declared by Wood County Sheriff Mark Wasylyshyn depending on the snowfall and wind.

As the storm is to become worse by 10 p.m. tonight, the county will be keeping their eye on its progress to determine when to call it, be it later tonight or early Wednesday morning, Wasylyshyn said.

The weather is not severe enough for a level three to be considered yet.

A level one emergency is declared when the roads may be icy and warns drivers to be cautious. A level two is declared when the roads are considered hazardous and urges drivers to drive when they feel it is necessary, according to the Sheriff’s website.

Original Story:

Motorists have until 10 p.m. to remove cars from the following streets that need to be clear during a city snow emergency: Church, Clay, Clough, Court, Enterprise, Fourth, Grove, Maple, Prospect, Summit and Wooster streets; Mercer and Wintergarden roads; Conneaut, East Merry and Lehman avenues; and Scott Hamilton.

The city is declaring a snow emergency earlier than usual due to the large amount of snowfall projected to hit the area by 10 p.m., according to the National Weather Service.

Usually a snow emergency is declared when snow reaches a depth of 2 inches, according to city snow removal guidelines.

Another 1 to 3 inches is expected to fall before 4 p.m. Wednesday, according to NWS forecasts.

For a full list of streets and cul de sacs that need to be cleared for during snow emergencies, visit bgohio.org