Dance Marathon memebers spoke at USG Monday about goals for more participants, money

Dance Marathon members came to talk with the student government Monday night to inform and promote Ziggython, their 32 hour event where students stand to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network.

“It’s an amazing event to raise money,” said Morale Captain Meagan Jones during the meeting. “We stand for kids that can’t.”

Right now, they have about 200 students signed up and their goal is to reach 500 by the start of Ziggython on April 5 and 6. They also hope to raise $500,000 this year, which is higher than the $225,000 Dance Marathon raised last year.

“There are going to be local bands there to keep the dancers going,” said Morale Captain Nicole Birt. “We are also hoping to get Ellen DeGeneres to come … and we chose her because she has provided miracles to many families and she loves kids and loves to dance.”

The Dance Marathon members encouraged fans and students to go onto their social media sites and tweet at DeGeneres to increase the chance she will come.

Also, they stressed that this is a new year. In the past, they said, Dance Marathon has been strongly affiliated with Greek organizations.

“We want the whole school to come, not just the Greeks,” said Carrie DiVincenzo, participant relations Rep. “Everyone is welcome.”

The Undergraduate Student Government will be meeting again Monday, February 10 at 7:30 in 308 Union.