Show explores women’s issues

For the past few years, female Bowling Green students have been shocking others by performing “The Vagina Monologues.”

This year is no different. Cast members have been promoting the upcoming event by making posters, posting flyers all over campus, and even selling vagina-shaped chocolates at Union tables in preparation for this weekend’s shows.

“People ask if it’s a joke,” said cast member Kaylyn Simpson, a junior. “They completely change their mind once they see the show and feel the empowerment that we all feel.”

The Vagina Monologues will be performed this Friday and Saturday evening at 7 p.m. and Sunday at 5 p.m. The show will be in Olscamp room 101 this weekend and will be interpreted into sign language. Doors will open an hour before the show starts.

Written by Eve Ensler, “The Vagina Monologues” is an all female show that features 18 monologues that explore different tribulations that real women go through.

Ensler interviewed over 200 women to gain inspiration to create dialect that could touch on many real issues that women go through, including anything from menstrual periods to sexual abuse to transgenderism, said Breanna Randolph, a senior and cast member.

“I love that there’s women in the cast that have been through these experiences,” Randolph said. “There’s heart in it.”

Each year, the University’s production of the show raises money and collects money for The Cocoon Shelter.

The Cocoon Shelter is the only non-profit shelter for domestically abused women in the county, said Katie Franklin, a junior and director for the show.

“We really encourage people to come early to see all that we have to offer,” Franklin said. “Female musicians will be performing prior to the show and there will art from local female artists.”

Although it’s an all-female cast, those involved seemed hopeful that men would be in the audience as well.

“People think that just because it talks about feminist issues it’s only for girls,” Franklin said. “We’d love to see some guys out there.”

Cast member Kaylyn Simpson seemed to agree.

“I’ve been doing this show for three years and love to see my guy friends out there supporting us,” Simpson said.

Tickets for the show will be $10 for non-students and $8 for students. They can also be purchased with students’ BG1 cards. All proceeds from ticket sales will go to The Cocoon Shelter.