Women’s golf places 4 individuals in top-20 in final tournament of fall season

In its final tournament of the 2014 fall season, the BG women’s golf team totaled four top-20 individual finishes at the 2014 Rocket Classic.

The Falcons finished fourth place overall as a team with 936 points. Toledo won the classic with 903 points, followed by Western Michigan with 915 and Ohio with 927. Akron rounded out the top five with a final total of 961.

The Falcons entered into the final day of play on Tuesday in fourth place with a score of 614, +38, after the first two rounds of play. On Tuesday the team combined for a score of 936, +72, earning them the fourth place finish out of the 13-team field.

Senior Shelby Wilson tied for eighth overall with a combined score of 232, +16. Wilson posted scores of 78, 76 and 78 and finished with 32 pars and five birdies throughout the competition.

“Shelby [Wilson] fought hard in today’s wind to lead us with a 78,” said head coach Stephanie Young. “Overall we just made too many big numbers, which kept us from finishing strong and continuing yesterday’s solid play.”

Junior Lily Bartell finished in a tie for 12th place overall and had rounds of 74, 79 and 81, and posted an overall score of 234, +18. Bartell had a total of 33 pars and three birdies overall.

Rounding out the top-20 for the Falcons were senior Patricia Holt and sophomore Mikayla Baer. Holt finished in a tie for 15th place and Baer finished in a tie for 20th place. Holt finished ahead of Baer by just a single stroke with an overall score of 236, +20. Baer tallied a score of 237, +21, with a team-high five birdies.

Playing as individuals, freshman Madelynn Swank and sophomore Fran Rodriguez tied for 33rd and 36th, respectively. Swank finished with a combined score of 244, +28 and Rodriguez had a score of 246, +30.

With the conclusion of the Rocket Classic, the team’s fall season came to a close. The highest result the team recorded was at the Jon P. Spiess Memorial Tournament on Sept. 14. The Falcons finished the tournament in first place with a total score of 319. The Falcons posted five top-four finishes throughout their six events. The team also tallied 19 individual top-20 finishes in those events.

“We have had a successful fall, seeing many solid finishes in the top third of event fields,” Young said. “There has also been a lot of depth so far on the roster. As the transition begins to training for the spring, we have much to learn from and build off of that can help us be better in 2015.”