Men’s basketball evens their MAC record

Jaevon Clarke drives to the basket through four Central Michigan defenders in a 69-64 win on Jan. 15. 

The BG men’s basketball team will travel to Athens, Ohio for their Mid-American Conference game against Ohio University.

The Falcons are coming off a 69-64 comeback victory against Western Michigan University this past Sunday.

Junior Anthony Henderson scored a career high 27 points in that game while also making a career high seven three-pointers. After that performance he was named the MAC East player of the week along with University of Toledo guard Julius Brown who won the honor out of the West Division.

With that win the Falcons brought their MAC record to 2-2 and are currently on a two-game win streak.

Their offense has seemed to wake up in their last few games as they have scored more than 67 points twice. In their previous four games before then they scored only 60 points once in a 65-60 loss against IPFW.

Their defense has stayed on point for the Falcons as they have only given up more than 60 points twice in their last six games and have won one of those contests.

Ohio has played a few highly ranked teams early on in the season. They played The Ohio State University on Nov. 19 in Columbus. The Bobcats held their own against one of the Big Ten powerhouses but lost 79-69.

They also played then ranked number 22 University of Massachusetts at home, again they held their own against one of the country’s best but lost 83-71.

So far the Bobcats are 3-1 in MAC play with wins over Kent State, Ball State, and Northern Illinois. The Bobcats one MAC loss came at home in a double overtime 83-71 loss to the University of Akron.

The big man and guard combo of Nick Kellogg and Maurice Ndour is what makes the Bobcats so difficult to guard against. Kellogg is averaging 14.7 points a game and shoots 44 percent from behind the three point arc.

Ndour is a 6’9 forward who averages 14.9 points per game and 7.2 rebounds a game. His ability to score down low and rebound along with Kellogg’s ability to shoot and pass the ball makes for a dangerous combo.

The Falcons will need to play defense the way they have the last six games if they plan to hand the Bobcats their second MAC loss of the season. The game will be at 7 p.m. at the Convocation Center.