Men’s basketball attempts to continue road win streak against MAC opponent

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team will travel to Yspilanti, Mich., as they are matched up against Eastern Michigan Jan. 30.

This will be a re-match of their game on Jan. 8., when the Falcons hosted the Eagles and lost 56-51. That loss was in the middle of the Falcons four game losing streak after Christmas.

That game the Falcons had four players in double digits for points but they also turned the ball over 16 times. Their defensive effort allowed them to stay in the game but they could not pull out a win as they only shot 30.8 percent from the field.

Now the Falcons are coming off winning three of their last four games and their last two road games. Both of those road wins were comeback wins as well; against Western Michigan they were down 15 points at one time and against Ohio University they were down 10.

Eastern Michigan is on the opposite side of the momentum spectrum, as they have lost their last two games while at home. They lost to Akron Jan. 22., 78-68, and followed that with a loss to Jan. 25., 58-56.

The Eagles have three players averaging double digits in scoring. Junior forward Karrington Ward leads them in scoring with 13.7 points a game. Ward is also second on the team in three point percentage shooting 31 percent.

Ward will be matched with the Falcons Junior forward Richaun Holmes. Holmes is averaging 13.9 points a game but is also averaging 2.9 blocks a game. Holmes is ranked number 18 in the country in blocks and second in the Mid-American Conference.

The Eagles are averaging 68 points a game while only allowing their opponents to score 64 points a game. The Falcons have had a tough time this year competing with teams when they score over 65 points as they have only one game all season where they gave up more than 65 points.

Although the Falcons have only won one game when allowing less than 65 points, they have won seven out of nine games. The Falcons defense has been consistent all year but their offense has been shaky.

The Falcons will look to combine good defense with scoring ability on Wednesday as they attempt to win their third road game in a row and even up their record at 10 wins on Wednesday.