Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 21, 2023

• Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]
  • A Theatrical Rivalry with Love and Despair
    By Jay Grummel If We Were Villains has a way of making the horrifics acts of rivals and the blurry line of morals poetic. At first glance I didn’t think I’d enjoy this book as much as I did, especially with the amount of times it quoted Shakespeare. However, after diving into this dark academic […]

Boys State gives opportunity to learn about government

Throughout the week, high school students from around the state will be learning about state government.

American Legion Buckeye Boys State seeks to teach students about government with a weeklong event taking place at the University.

The event started Sunday morning and will end Sunday, June 15.

About 1200 students are attending, Gerald White, director of Buckeye Boys State, said.

Over the week, the students will create their own mock state government, with elections and political campaigns, Bill Strong, public relations manager, said.

“They’ll have a state government by Wednesday,” Strong said.

Buckeye Boys State hosts the largest event of its kind in the nation, Strong said, with students coming from all over the state.

Strong feels Buckeye Boys State brings a positive impact to students and prepares them for future political careers.

“When these kids come out of Boys State, they will know more about government than 79 percent of Ohio,” he said.

White said Boys State is so effective at teaching students about government because they get a first-hand experience.

“In all due respect to the high schools of this state, a week of this program will teach them more about government than a semester of classes,” he said.

He said there’s “no unemployment” at Boys State; everyone has a role in the mock government.

Many politicians and prominent figures have participated in Boys State, including Neil Armstrong and Supreme Court justices, said White.

He thinks Boys State is important because it can motivate students to make an impact in government.

“As veterans, [Boys State] think it’s important to teach the young people that you can make a difference in government,” White said.

While teaching about government and preparing students for future careers, Strong said it also helps students with the costs of college.

Colleges will sometimes lower the tuition for students who participate in Boys State, he said.

Noah Miller, a high school student from Grove Miller, said he enjoys Boys State. He is interested in government and sees Boys State as good “on the job experience.”

“[It’s] crazy, fun and a little confusing,” Miller said.

As well as being a teaching tool, White said Boys State can be used as a marketing tool for the University.

Boys State gives high school students around the country a look at the University, White said, and some who attend Boys State will go to the University in the future.