Accessible dog park pitched to city council, party bikes approved for use

Bowling Green resident Lona Leck presented the idea of a dog park for the Bowling Green community to city council on March 21. She said many families adopted a dog throughout the pandemic to help with loneliness and isolation, resulting in over 3,477 licensed dogs within the city’s limits. Leck is looking for help from the American Rescue Plan funding in hopes to make a more accessible dog park for BG residents.

“We truly feel that a more accessible, well appointed dog park would be most beneficial to the dog owners and residents of Bowling Green,” Leck, the assistant director for Recreation and Wellness at BGSU, said. “And, a real attraction and asset to our community.”

Ordinance 8992 was unanimously passed, which allows for commercial quadricycles. City council members asked questions about who makes sure the amount of alcohol that is allotted is not exceeded per individual and who is responsible.

“In terms of who enforces, I would say it’s the same as any other liquor law or police enforce that. And so does liquor control when agents are in town,” City Attorney Mike Marsh answered. In terms of who is responsible, Marsh answered that it would be “the owner of the business and also the person specifically who violated the law.”

Ordinance 8995 had its first reading, which authorizes participation in the Ohio Department of Transportation road salt contracts. Ordinance 8996 also had its first reading, which authorizes applying for the Catastrophic Snowfall Program and allows ODOT to provide secondary snow and ice removal. 

Bill Culberston, a previous city council member who sat at large and served for eight years, passed on March 15. Mayor Mike Aspacher expressed his sympathies toward Bill’s family and recognized his service for the community. 

On May 12, at 6 p.m. there will be a public meeting to hear proposals for city allocations of ARPA funding.

The next city council meeting will be held on April 5 at 7 p.m.