City council hears pickleball pitch

Pickleball – Photo via Wikimedia Commons

Brian and Debra Sell advocated for the building of outdoor pickleball courts in Bowling Green at city council on Feb. 22 with the extra money from the American Rescue Plan Act.

The Sells drive up to the Perrysburg Community Center with a caravan of people to play.

“Bowling Green has 20-40 players that religiously show up three days a week and play this game,” Brian said.

Debra said she’s played pickleball with college students, her friend’s children and her friend’s grandchildren. 

“This game isn’t just for seniors,” Debra said. “It’s a great sport for males, females, and all different ages.”

Brian said the Bowling Green Parks and Recreation Department supports the project so the only thing needed is the cash to fund it. 

“I cannot think of a better investment for this community,” Debra said.

Two other county residents, Dave Saneholtz and John Whitson, stated their support of this pickleball idea. 

Adam Schaff spoke on behalf of Leadership BG. From March 14 to March 18, they will hold a “penny war” between Bowling Green and Otsego.

The goal is to raise money for Wood County Plays, which is building an inclusive playground in Bowling Green’s Carter Park. This friendly competition will have two buckets at each of the schools in Bowling Green and Otsego. Here are the rules:

• Pennies, dollar bills and checks will add points toward the school you donate at.

• Any silver coins (nickels, dimes or quarters) will count against the opposing school.

After the penny war ends, the school with the largest net positive will win.

John Whitson, a Findlay resident whose company has property in Bowling Green, proposed developing Bowling Green on the east side of I-75 by building housing.

“It’s still Bowling Green on the east side of the highway,” Whitson said. “I’d like to see you guys embrace that side of the highway a little bit more, because I feel like it hasn’t happened in the past.”

Whitson said housing development will result in commercial development, build the tax base and solve housing problems.

The Transportation Safety Committee will hold a public hearing on commercial quadricycles on March 21 at 6:15 p.m. at the City Administrative Services building. They will go over legislation regarding commercial quadricycles.

Former City Council members Sandy Rowland and John Zanfardino were recognized for their achievements, service and civic duty performance. Mark Hollenbaugh presented their awards to commend them for their contributions to the Bowling Green community.

The next city council meeting will be held on March 7 at 7 p.m.