Three UNC student deaths start University discussion

The deaths of three Muslim students at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill had people wondering whether the shooting was over a parking spot or motivated by

something more.

At the University, the incident was discussed in regards to what would happen if something like that ever occurred on this campus.

Susana Pena, the Director of the School of Cultural and Critical Studies said she hoped she would never have to learn the answer.

“I would want the institution to think about issues like this before they happen because obviously we all want, as faculty, students and staff, is to prevent an incident like that from happening,” Pena said.

Pena said an important part of her job is addressing issues of inequality on and off campus and to open up a dialogue about such issues with all members of the community.

Ray Plaza, a co-chair for Not in Our Town [NIOT], said the goal of his organization is to also open up the lines of communication so students and staff alike can express themselves freely.

“In regards to a shooting on that level, [our goal] would be sort of ensuring that everyone is working together on the same page, to ensure that, one, you’re taking care of the hurt that’s there…but also looking at how did this happen,” said Plaza.

Plaza was also at Virginia Tech in 2007 when the campus shooting occurred. He felt that when it came to potential policies, it was important “to understand the how and the why.”

Captain Michael Campbell of the University Police Department said the university police department is thoroughly trained to handle a wide variety of potential situations on campus

“Obviously we always want to learn from any incident, regardless of what that is, but we’re always looking for ways to increase the safety of campus,” Campbell said.

With 25 sworn officers available 24/7, Campbell said the UPD are not only responsible for on-campus safety, but are often called to assist the Bowling Green Police Department as well.

Campbell said it is often difficult to predict events such as a shooting, but it is important to be aware and report suspicious activity.

Pena agreed it is hard to say that any specific event, such as the shooting at UNC, could have been prevented.

As the director of a school that focuses on cultural issues, Pena thought the deaths of the three Muslim students was particularly troubling and was motivated by more than just a dispute over a parking spot.

“It’s our responsibility as an institution of higher education to try to actively promote an inclusive environment to help prevent incidents like that,”

Pena said.

Plaza and Pena both stressed the importance of open discussion on campus and in the community and how it is essential to help prevent events like those at UNC.

Plaza said he believed if a shooting like the one that occurred at UNC ever happened at the University, the community would rally around the university and support those who were affected by a tragedy of that magnitude.

“I think that a lot of universities around the country will learn from that experience,” Plaza said. “I think, regardless, no one is really ever prepared, you’re as prepared as you can be.”