Convocation prepares first-year students for college career

University officials and student representatives gave advice to first-year students as the students flooded the Stroh Center for a convocation ceremony Sunday Aug. 23.

After taking a class of 2019 picture, USG President Victor Senn took the stage to emcee the event and officially welcome the class of 2019.

Later, the University’s all-male acappella group, Ten40, performed the National Anthem to officially kick off the event.

Afterward, University President Mary Ellen Mazey spoke to the first-year students. Mazey said, “Since Thursday I hope you have learned what it will take to be a successful freshman at BGSU.”

Mazey then took a stroll down memory lane, explaining how fortunate she was to attend college after losing her father at one year old and being raised by a single mother, attending a four-room schoolhouse that housed eight grades. Mazey said she hoped this year’s freshman class was thinking about how fortunate they were as well.

“Find your mentor. Find that professor. Find those individuals that will help you as you pursue your success right here at BGSU,” Mazey said.

Mazey then gave four pieces of wisdom, which she had the students of the class of 2019 repeat out loud. “I will prepare for class” was Mazey’s first piece of advice. Mazey had the freshman also repeat, “I will go to class. I will get involved. I will be a Falcon Forever.”

Following Mazey’s expectations of the students, Provost and Senior Vice President Rodney Rogers took the stage to share what students can expect of the faculty. 

Rogers said, “We are going to make sure that in every class there will be clear expectations.”

Rogers went on to explain two more key things students could expect — a lot of feedback and support. Closing his portion of the Processional, Rogers said, “Welcome to Bowling Green State University and dream big.”

After Rogers, Senn invited three student speakers to the stage. Molly Conroy, Alanna Meadows, and Darrico Harris, along with Senn, made a conversational presentation to the Class of 2019.

Each of these speakers shared some advise based on experience to the freshman class. Meadows’ key advice was to use the resources that the University offers, such as professor’s office hours and the Learning Commons. Meadows also shared the following quote that she heard during a Preview Day: “I don’t ask for help because I am weak. I ask for help to remain strong.”

Following Meadows, Conroy said, “When you come to college, you have the chance to reinvent yourself and really figure out who you want to be, but that doesn’t have to be one singular choice. It’s a series of choices. 

Harris shared a quote from the Bible verse Matthew 7:7 as his advice. “Ask and you shall receive. Seek and you shall find. Knock and your door shall be opened unto you.”

After the student speakers shared their advice, the Official Pinning Ceremony began. Provost Rogers returned to the podium to lead the students in pinning the university seal onto their shirt. While pinning, Rogers said, “By putting this seal on you are now forever a Falcon.”

Following the pinning, students stood to read the University creed, which Mazey thanked Senn and the student leadership for their help in creating.  

In Mazey’s final remarks, she said, “We are here, all of us are here, the faculty, the staff, your fellow students, to ensure your future success, so go today and dream big as you’ve heard from others.”