BG women’s golf finishes tied for eighth in MAC Tournament

The women’s golf team concluded its 2011-12 season with a tie for eighth place at the Mid-American Conference Championships this past weekend in Fishers, Ind.

“It was a very disappointing finish,” said coach Stephanie Young.

Shelby Wilson was the top performer for the Falcons in her first appearance in the MAC Championships. She earned a tie for 28th place by carding a 245 (82-81-82) in the three round event. Wilson finished the season with a scoring average of 78.70, good for fourth-best average in BG history for a single season.

Bailey Arnold ended the event with a 249 (85-83-81) to finish 34th overall and end the season with a 79.48 scoring average, seventh in school history.

Paula DiFrancesco ended her BG career on a good note, carding an 80 on Sunday. It was the best round for any Falcon in the tournament. Overall, she shot a 253 (87-86-80) to finish in a 35th-place tie.

Kelsey Benson shot a 253 (83-84-86), and Patricia Holt shot a 260 (86-86-88) in their first MAC Championship.

“The season has been a total team effort,” Young said. “I’m very proud of the efforts of our freshmen, especially the scoring leadership from Shelby Wilson.”