Jeremy Fitzgerald utilizes degree, experience to operate Bar 145

Bar+145
Bar 145

Jeremy Fitzgerald has had a lot on his plate recently — literally.

Fitzgerald, owner of Bar 145 in Toledo and University alumnus, has used his background in the hospitality business to the bar’s advantage.

Since the bar’s opening in May 2011, Fitzgerald has been busy with new operations in different cities, as well as perfecting the art of the perfect burger.

“The number 145 stands for the perfect degree for a medium rare burger,” Fitzgerald said.

Fitzgerald graduated in 2004 in hospitality and has family history in the business as well. In 1996, Fitzgerald’s father bought a gift shop and motel in Put-in-Bay, a village in Ottawa County. Through the years, his father expanded his career by purchasing more properties in Put-in-Bay and Port Clinton. Being from Put-in-Bay and working for his family’s hospitality business, he wanted to get away.

“My family has been in the restaurant, bar and hotel business since I was 13,” Fitzgerald said. “It’s just what I was good at.”

Fitzgerald’s father, Ed Fitzgerald, is an owner and operator of three hotels and four bars near the Put-in-Bay area, as well as Port Clinton. He said his son’s experience working for him as a general manager has given him extensive knowledge of how the bar business works. Ed said Put-in-Bay’s busy atmosphere really helped his son know the pace of operating a restaurant.

“We’re a blessed family; he’s a sharp kid,” Ed said. “I’m very proud of him.”

The University helped him become more organized and able to put two and two together in respect to hospitality, Fitzgerald said. Opening Bar 145 in Toledo came about when Fitzgerald moved there four to five years ago. Bar 145 is Toledo’s first gastro pub, a pub that serves higher quality food and drinks and is targeted toward young professionals.

“I was sick of the club scene; I wanted something on a higher scale,” Fitzgerald said.

Being a Put-in-Bay native, Toledo was a great location because many patrons of the village are from Toledo. In fact, Toledo is Put-in-Bay’s number one audience because of its proximity, Fitzgerald said. Many places to eat or drink in Toledo are either aimed toward college students or they’re a high-class restaurant, but there is no middle ground, like Bar 145, Fitzgerald said.

“I wanted to fill that void,” Fitzgerald said.

Bar 145 uses only certified humane beef that is fed an all-natural diet, hormone and steroid-free as well as fresh produce. Fitzgerald said the bar doesn’t even own a freezer. Also, since Toledo is a large part of Put-in-Bay’s audience, Fitzgerald has bands from the village come to Toledo and perform at Bar 145 quite frequently.

“My favorite part is the challenge. There’s so many critics,” Fitzgerald said. “I just want to make people happy.”

Bar 145’s slogan is that it specializes in “burgers, bands and bourbon.” The bar offers live entertainment six nights a week and has a laid back atmosphere where all the employees wear red Chuck Taylor (Converse) sneakers. Elizabeth Carpenter, employee at Bar 145, said she enjoys the laid back feel of the place and that the staff is like family.

“He is the best boss I’ve ever had,” Carpenter said.

Fitzgerald also plans to open another restaurant in Grandview in July and in Kent, which opens in December.

“It’s not for the money — Toledo needed this,” Fitzgerald said. “I want everyone around me to have fun. I want to show people a good time and that’s what Bar 145 is.”