Differences need respect

The United States is often referred to as a ‘melting pot.’ But, in a society that is supposed to be so accepting, I can’t help but feel that we put down other people for having opposing views to ours.  

Here at the University, we are encouraged to have an open mind and be willing to say what we think, but I don’t believe that is what they really mean. If your opinion on a topic doesn’t fall in line with the majority, your contrasting view isn’t as openly accepted. Because of this, sometimes in class, I don’t say what I think if it goes against the popular opinion because I fear judgment that will follow. 

Today, we are too caught up with what other people think. We hesitate and think about how our views could offend others. According to the Pew Research Center, 40 percent of millennials are okay with limiting their speech to not offend others. As a whole, we are making self-censorship more common because there is this reasoning that has been embellished in our heads that it is easier to just conform and not create a hassle with contrasting ideas. 

On campus, I am aware that I am a minority because I consider myself to be a right-winged conservative. For some when they hear that word, there is a negative connotation with it. It may be assumed that I am stubborn, racist, against things like gay rights, or that I’m not current with changing times. Even though you might not agree with some of my views, no one, whether they lean to the left or the right should be discouraged from sharing their ideas among peers. Steven Crowder makes a valid point in his YouTube video talking about free speech when he says that freedoms are not for an individual. They apply to everyone, or no one. If not, ironically, they become discriminatory.  

In one of my classes, we were asked to raise our hand based on if we were pro-life or pro-choice. When called to raise your hand for pro-life, I hesitated as the thought crossed my mind, “what if no one else agrees with me?” But my question is, why is that such a big thing? I am allowed to have my own opinion. It is your right to not agree with my stance, just as it is mine to use my First Amendment rights.  

If you have logical reasoning behind your opinions, share it. Don’t be like Donald Trump Jr. who, on Monday via Twitter, compared Syrian Refugees to Skittles. The analogy was not taken as well as Forrest Gump comparing life with a box of chocolates. Instead, on hot topic issues such as the Syrian Refugee crisis, do some research. When you do this, you can see where the other side is coming from and that can make your argument stronger. I think that sometimes we just use what we see on the news and run with whatever view they have instead of forming an opinion for ourselves.  

It is okay to not agree with what every person has to say. We shouldn’t make people feel small for standing by their beliefs. It takes a lot of courage to stand by what you believe in. We should be respectful of others opinions even though we do not agree with what is being said.

Reply to Kaitlyn at [email protected]