Entrepreneurship week to promote student businesses

For senior Krysten Jablonowski, Entrepreneurship Week is more than an opportunity to learn about owning her own business; it’s a chance to actually start her own company before graduation.

This week is the first annual E-week, hosted by the Dallas Hamilton Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership, which works to increase entrepreneurial leadership at the University, according to the University website.

Jablonowski, a computer science major and an entrepreneurship minor, wants to start a company where students can purchase dorm room items, such as futons, fridges and microwaves, and have the items delivered to their dorms prior to move-in day.

She is one of eight students who will present their company ideas at an E-week event called “The Hatch,” Wednesday night from 7 to 9 p.m. in 101 Olscamp Hall.

“E-week consists of five days of activities to introduce new student entrepreneurs, to honor people who have been very successful in the field of entrepreneurship and to kind of teach some entrepreneur lessons as well,” said Kirk Kern, director of marketing in the College of Business and director of the Dallas Hamilton Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership.

Students will be able to listen and have lunch with entrepreneurs, enjoy free food and learn new skills for future businesses.

“This is a great opportunity to have,” Jablonowski said. “I was very excited to hear that Bowling Green was offering something like this, and so when I turned in my application I thought ‘Hey, you know, what’s the worse that can happen?’”

Similar to the TV show “Shark Tank,” the eight students participating in “The Hatch” will present their ideas to a panel of investors and hope to receive funds to make their business idea a reality, Kern said.

Ray Braun, dean of the College of Business, said the week will be a great opportunity for all students.

“It’s going to be a great week for BG student entrepreneurs,” Braun said.

More than 500 people are registered to attend the events this week, Kern said.

The events are free open to the public, Kern said. Although the website said students must registered in advance, Kern says he encourages students to come anyway.

“We want this to be an annual event,” Kern said. “E-week next year will be bigger and better … we are very hopeful … this is just the beginning.”