‘Bucket List’ used as University retention tool

Running through the fountain in front of the administration building and ordering a pumpkin pie blizzard from Myles’ Dairy Queen are just two of the things students are challenged to do during their time at the University.

The on campus organization your Fellow Falcon is bringing awareness to the University Bucket List, a list of 67 things to do in Bowling Green and the surrounding area before graduation.

yFF did not create the bucket list, and no one is certain who created it, said Brandi Barhite, adviser of your Fellow Falcon and the assistant director of the Student Enrollment Communication Center.

“We are trying to implement it to make BG a more neighborly and welcoming place,” Barhite said.

The main goal for yFF is to make Bowling Green a place students want to come back to with events and the creation of community. yFF is a part of the University’s retention initiative, which focuses on getting students to return to the University each year, Barhite said.

“We make your time at BG the best you can have, not party-wise, but friend and connection-wise,” she said.

The bucket list began to spread around campus, and yFF gained an interest in it.

“[Residence] Life passed it out during freshman move in, and we got a copy from marketing and communications,” she said.

There has been one event so far to help students get started on their bucket lists.

“One thing on the bucket list was to eat stuffed breadsticks from Pollyeyes and also watch a movie at the Gish,” Barhite said. “So we knocked out two with one stone.”

Amber Dudley, student manager of yFF, was at the most recent event hosted, which drew in between 15 and 20 students.

“It was our first one. I think it will get better as we progress,” she said.

yFF is currently planning to host at least one event per month, Dudley said.

“The next one is this week,” Dudley said. “We are going to get Starbucks, and walk to the thinking man to take a picture.”

Dudley is currently working on her own University bucket list.

“I’m gradually doing it,” she said. “I’m pretty involved so I’ve looked through the list and I’ve done things without realizing it.”

Freshman Erica Miller is planning on attending the next event hosted by yFF, and began her bucket list when she heard about it through friends.

“I have pictures with the thinking man, and I’ve eaten at two of the restaurants on the list,” she said.

Miller said she plans to complete the bucket list and continue to attend events with friends.

“I like the events,” she said. “It brings people together, and it gives you a goal to go after.”

To find out when the next bucket list event is, students can check out yFF’s Facebook page by searching your Fellow Falcon.