After week off, Falcons regroup for Michigan State

Running up the field, fullback Mitch Sora breaks away against Cleveland State earlier this season. Sora returns from injury this weekend against Michigan State.

After a postponed game a week ago, the Falcon rugby club will use the extra time as an advantage against the Michigan State Spartans on the road Saturday.

Michigan State has not beaten BG since 1980.

The Spartans are from the Big Ten and the past two contests have not been close, as BG won 56-5 and 102-0.

The new conference structure in rugby will probably turn that around for the Spartans, who finished in 4th place in the Big Ten East this past fall with a 2-2 record. It may not be enough as they face a Falcon club, despite injuries, that is hitting on all cylinders and is 11-0 against college level competition since the fall.

The Falcons may be at an advantage after Indiana cancelled on them a week ago. It couldn’t have came at a better time, as the Falcons are trying to recover in time for the tournament later this month.

“Having last Saturday off, our men are not only rested, but hungry to head back into battle, said wing Nolan Cavano. “With the various injuries acquired thus far, having Saturday off allowed for us to recharge.”

BG will be bolstered this weekend with the return of fullback Mitch Sora from injury. Sora, fall season’s rookie of the year, saw spot duty against Ohio State coach Roger Mazzarella said in an email.

An elusive ball carrier and a deadly tackler, Sora has ambitions to play for the Canadian national team, can cover the wing, fullback, fly half and scrum half for the Falcons.

With the extra week of rest, it could be another tough outing for the Spartans. Sora’s versatility could play a factor in the team’s success this weekend with the injury woes in the starting lineup.

Michigan State sports a 2-2-1 record this season. They have posted 144 points against opponents, which is second in the Big Ten East, but the 118 points given up on the defensive side of the ball typically ends up costing them games.