Tolerance, equality education needed on campus

Last year, something bad happened to the campus.

We had some tweets go viral that were offensive to not just the black community, but for the community of Bowling Green. However, these tweets weren’t the only bad things happening around campus. There were several other racially charged crimes that happened that led up to the campaign coming to the University. Not In Our Town was introduced, which promoted anti-hate and pro-diversity issues on campus.

This was a great thing for the University to have, because not only did this help bring awareness to the racial problems we have seen, but also to other problems stemming from diversity as well.

I can guarantee that there were other crimes committed to different students on campus that have gone unreported, especially ones from other diversity groups that have accepted the abuse or just don’t want to be called out.

I walk around campus every day and I hear comments from students talking with their friends, saying things that one wouldn’t think were possible to say anymore in the 21st century.

That is why it is so important that Not In Our Town addresses not just the race problems on campus, but all the issues that the University and its students have.

When a person picks up the card for Not In Our Town, there is a statement in there that lists several diversity issues, including race, gender, sexual identity, religion and class.

This month’s In Focus section deals with Not In Our Town. Not only because it is an important tool that can really help the University, but also because we want to make sure they are doing their part of the promise in the fight for equality for these different diversity groups.

Every student, faculty and staff member in the University is affected by every one of these diversities in one way or another. We need to stand strong and help one another, because each other is all we have.

Equality for different people has come a long way to get where it is now but we are nowhere close to being done. Not In Our Town and the University are doing a great thing by protecting diversity groups and we want to do our part as well, seeing where work still needs to be done through the people facing these issues every day.