Parents still best friends, offer support

I called my parents at 12:30 a.m. one night this week because I had no idea what to do.

I’ve been dealing with some pretty bad neck pain recently and this morning, it got to the point where it was nearly unbearable.

After sitting hunched over all day studying, my neck was so tight and hurt so bad that it was giving me one of the worst headaches I’ve had in a long time.

I had absolutely no idea what to do. I tried looking it up online, but that wasn’t helpful.

My dad has some pretty serious back problems, so I figured he might have a few ideas that could help me out. I knew both my parents would be asleep, so I could only hope one of them would wake up. Thankfully, my dad did.

I felt absolutely horrible about waking him up because it also woke my mom up, and both of them have to be up early for work.

Luckily, my dad gave me a few ideas and I was able to get some more studying in before going to bed without hurting my neck too much.

I talked to both my parents later that day, apologizing for waking them up so late at night/early in the morning. Both of them had the same answer: “It’s okay. That’s what we’re here for.”

My parents are two of the coolest people on the planet and two of my best friends. I’m close to both of them and incredibly thankful for that. Without them, I really don’t know what I’d do.

Though I feel bad about waking them up this morning, I don’t feel bad about asking them for help or advice if I need it. It really is helpful getting the perspective of someone that is older than you and has been through more in life.

I remember my parents saying that one day I’d realize that they really do know what they’re talking about. Honestly, I wish I would’ve realized that sooner, though, at 20, I can say that I’ve realized it before some of my friends that are older than I am.

There’s nothing wrong with it, either way. Some people need a little bit more time to figure things out. Others are perfectly fine without asking their parents for guidance.

It’s not like I completely ignored my parents in high school. In fact, I was closer to my parents than most of my friends were to theirs. Back then, I just didn’t appreciate the fact that they were doing and telling me what they knew was best, based on what they had experienced in their own lives.

I don’t talk to my parents every day because I know that as much as I love them and they love me, I live on my own and we all need some space. However, I don’t hesitate to call or text them when I have a funny story or find something that relates to an inside joke.

Parents really can be our best friends and still be our parents. They’re there to love and support us and help us the best that they can when we need it.

I love being so close to my parents. Though most of my friends are here at school, it’s really nice to go home to my family, who are sometimes the best friends anyone could ask for.

Respond to Alyssa at