Graduation does not mean maturity

Some of you are graduating with no clue how to be an adult.

I have no sympathy for you.

I’m not referring to what you rapscallions do on the weekends, but what you do on the weekdays: pay bills, clean up after yourselves, maintain the house or apartment.

Some of you are utterly helpless when it comes to that. You are totally screwed when you graduate.

I bet your old rooms at Mom and Dad’s are real comfy.

People whose parents pay for everything and do everything for them annoy me. Not because I’ve nearly paid for everything for the past four years and am jealous. It’s because you probably never physically written a check for anything in your life. Its because you don’t know how to clean the dishes properly. It’s because you don’t know how to wipe your own behind.

It’s because once your parents throw you out, you most likely won’t become a productive member of society because you have no clue how to be a responsible adult.

I’m glad I was raised by penny pinchers who forced me to clean up after myself and start to pay for things on my own when I turned 16.

And who am I to preach? I admit, I was way too fortunate growing up. I was ungrateful and I should have been disciplined more.

One memory that sticks out is when I was a kid, begging my mom for a toy even though she could barely afford to pay bills. I got what I wanted, but I wish my mom just smacked me and said, “Deal with it. I don’t have money you little brat.”

I think we all need a smack sometimes to remind us to grow up. We’ve got to be one of the most spoiled, lazy generations and it’s disgusting.

We’re all adults now. When I hear “Oh my parents pay for it,” or “My parents usually do it for me,” I shake my head. We have to learn how to do for ourselves or we’ll never learn.

Yes, parents should be there to help, but not support you completely. If anything, it’s our turn to help them out.

I felt so victorious when I paid for my grandma’s breakfast instead of her paying when I was home. She’s a very pushy lady too.

I owe my family so much and I can’t wait to save money so I can pay them back for everything they’ve done for me.

When it comes down to it, there’s nothing more gratifying than acting like a real adult.

Respond to Alex at