Nail polish that detects date rape drugs progressive

I was walking through the Union when I first heard about the miracle nail polish that recognizes date rape drugs in drinks.

“What the heck? What a sham,” I thought and continued walking. Upon exiting the Union, I clicked open the Facebook app installed on my phone and, upon scrolling, I saw an article that was shared about the nail polish that I had heard about a few minutes before.

According to an article in the “New Zealand Herald,” a few college students from North Carolina University have developed a type of nail polish that, if stirred in a drink, will detect any hints of a date rape drug, such as gamma hydroxybutyric acid [aka “Roofies”] or ketamine [aka “Special K.”]

This nail polish has an official Facebook page where the mission of the product states, “With our nail polish any woman will be empowered to discreetly ensure her safety by simply stirring her drink with her finger….”

My first instinct was to be excited. How progressive of our society to have college students, especially male college students, actively thinking about the safety of our young women out on the streets.

I thought this was the break we were looking for, and I was sure that many of my girlfriends would eagerly pounce on this creative idea.

I was terribly incorrect.

Thousands of women came forward and said the product offended them, presenting the age-old case, “Let’s not make products to keep women scared for potential sexual assault, but teach our men not to rape.”

When I go out, I want to have a good time. I want to wear what I want and I want to flirt with whom I want, which is exactly why I personally feel this new date rape nail polish checker will give me everything I’ve ever dreamed of to feel protected and safe.

Women should not have to get ready for the night by placing a coat of nail polish over their fingers. That’s annoying.

I sincerely do not want to be handed a drink and stick my hands in it. Gross.

But I will; not because I believe that most little boys grow up with fathers who sit them down and teach them to keep going after a woman says “no”, but because it is an influenced and learned behavior that will be a present force in our cultural society for many years to come.

I am proud of the #YesAllWomen movement and I am ecstatic that there have been enormous strides towards spreading awareness of sexual assault and sexual assault victims.

But contrary to popular opinion, change does not happen overnight. Or does it? Take a step back and lay the facts out on the table.

Women across the world are taking a stand on sexual assault cases and demanding that men listen to our cries. And we were heard.

Four male college students heard us and they did something about it.

We now have a product that can not only make women feel protected by the discreetness of it, but a product that can make us feel in control in the war of date rape drugs.

I don’t know if I can speak for every woman in the world, but I’m jumping on this as soon as it hits the shelves.

Watch out, boys, I’m already two steps ahead of you.

Respond to Michele at