Comedy show supports sexual assault victims

Eric Burgasser
Performers during the Women in Comedy show

A Starbucks employee got a musical ode in his honor Sunday night. “Taylor, the Latte Boy,” performed by Baylee Sheets, was one of several skits, songs, improv games and videos that made up the fourth annual Women in Comedy show.

The comedic event is put on the University’s all-female comedy group, Lady Parts, and all the proceeds go to the sexual violence program at The Cocoon Shelter, a 24/7 advocacy program for sexual violence survivors that provides a variety of services in the community.

Heather Paramore, sexual violence program advocate at The Cocoon Shelter, expressed gratitude towards Lady Parts for their support, and said that comedy is often helpful in the healing process for victims.

“I know we often get asked why comedy and sexual assault. What does that have to do with each other? I think it’s really important to keep in mind that comedy heals,” Paramore said. “I think it’s such an important thing after someone’s gone through a sexual assault is just focusing on healing, focusing on the good things in life. So we’re really thankful for this show and this opportunity.”

The show’s assistant director and one of Lady Parts’ performers and writers, sophomore Callie Inkrott, said a friend who had been involved with the group encouraged her to join, and she’s happy she did as it’s been a great experience.

“I was nervous to become a part of it but she really pushed me to do it,” Inkrott said. “It’s just such a group of positive women and comedy from women is something that’s pretty rare, so it’s really awesome to see such support in the feminist community and to just see everyone come together and put on an awesome show. And it’s just a hilarious time.”

Senior Kelly McManamon, who came to support her friend Paige Driscoll, who directed and performed in the show, agreed and said she really enjoyed the event.

“I thought it was really funny,” she said. “I’m always really impressed by them.”

Supporting and raising awareness about the Cocoon Shelter was also an important part of the event, Inkrott said.

“I think that it’s awesome that we’re a group of basically feminist comedians and we are able to support a sexual violence program,” Inkrott said. “I think that is a big issue, on the college campus especially, and it’s really important that they get support.”