Student athlete spotlight: Kallie Seimet

Kallie Seimet
Kallie Seimet

Junior libero Kallie Seimet has had an excellent season for the Bowling Green Falcons volleyball team, earning seven Mid-American Conference Defensive Player of the Week Awards as well as leading the NCAA with 6.81 digs per set.

However, Seimet feels that it’s been the team around her that has allowed her to have such a good season.

“My teammates are doing really well this season,” Seimet said. “The team in general is just making it way easier for me to get all those digs, so having them there and then doing reps in the off-season helped me be ready for the season.”

Seimet grew up in Oregon, Ohio, a suburb of Toledo, where her passion for volleyball began at a young age.

“It was a YMCA league and I was big into soccer when I was younger,” Seimet said. “One of my friends was wanting to try out a different sport and I was like ‘Okay, we could try it.’ It was with one of those small teams that you would practice with once a week, but I loved it. I loved the process of getting better each day.”

After finishing up her high school volleyball career and looking to continue into college, Seimet felt that Bowling Green would be the right choice for her right from the beginning.

“I don’t live far from here and in my recruiting process, this was my first school,” Seimet said. “I just kind of came here and committed right away, I didn’t really have a process, it just happened super fast. I liked the campus, I liked the coaches and the team that was here was really nice, everything just kind of felt good, it was nice to have my parents be able to come to my games.”

Seimet was also able to play in all of the matches starting as a freshman in the 2015 season, which she feels was particularly helpful in being able to gain experience right from the beginning.

“It was awesome,” Seimet said. “Every freshman wants to come in and play and make their mark on the team, so it was really cool, it’s been a great couple of years.”

Going into next season, Seimet is also looking to be a team leader in her senior year, a role she feels that the junior class has already been able to assume with just one senior player on the team this year.

“I think we started last spring,” Seimet said. “We really focused on building our leadership, especially since there was only one senior, so we’re like the upperclassmen in general, so it’s just wanting to get better for all of the upperclassmen coming in, we knew that there was going to be a lot of them, so we wanted to lead and help them come into the process as easily as they could.”

The team’s freshman players also feel that Seimet’s defensive abilities and leadership have made it much easier to produce on offense as they continue to learn the system.

“It’s a really big help,” Freshman middle blocker Katie Kidwell said. “Sometimes you have to see where the block is, so she’s always telling me which way to hit and things like that.”

Despite the team being relatively young, as well as having a difficult start to the season in non-conference play, Seimet feels that they never lost their confidence, leading to them taking the first place in the MAC so far.

“I knew that our team was going to be good,” Seimet said. “I put in a lot of work in the spring and the summer, so I knew that it was going to be a good season, I didn’t know how good, but since our team’s doing so well it’s just kind of fallen into place for me.”

Despite getting a number of awards throughout this season, Seimet isn’t overly concerned about them and wants to stay focused on the task at hand.

“You think about them when they come out, but I’m not really thinking about them during the games,” Seimet said. “After then you see them, you’re like, ‘Oh cool,’ but then you just kind of move on.”

The same level of focus will be key as the team goes into the MAC Tournament.

“We’ve just got to keep playing our game and keep focusing,” Seimet said. “For us as a team, that’s our strong suit is us playing together, so keeping that momentum just really makes it hard for the other teams to get us down or get us out of the game.”