Falcons conclude non-conference with sweep over Wolverines

Drake Harlett

After a day off, the Falcons took the drive up to Ann Arbor to close out their weekend series with the Michigan Wolverines. Marking their final non-conference matchup of the season, Bowling Green defeated Michigan in five sets, officially picking up their first pair of wins against the Big Ten since 1992.  

Here’s how it happened.  

Set 1: 25-22 (BGSU)

Freshman Amanda Otten opened the set with an ace as the Falcons managed to take an early 4-1 lead. With the Falcons still on top 8-5, the Wolverines logged their first ace and began to close the gap. Michigan eventually tied the Falcons, 8-8 before BG snagged a two point lead.  

The Wolverines managed to reach a tie again, 11-11, only for the Falcons to pull ahead with another two-point lead, 13-11. Proving to be a close set, Bowling Green maintained at least a one point lead, but weren’t able to log a sizable gap over Michigan. The Falcons forced the first Wolverine timeout of the day when they extended their lead to 18-15.  

After a 3-0 Wolverine run, the Falcons took their first timeout with Michigan closing in on the lead, 19-18. Bowling Green stayed ahead for the rest of this close set and secured the match lead with an ace from Lauryn Hovey.  

Set 2: 25-14 (Michigan)

The second set started with some back and forth scoring, but Michigan started to pull ahead with a 6-2 lead, prompting a Bowling Green timeout. Coming out of the timeout, the Wolverines gained a strong 9-3 lead over the Falcons. Michigan continued their strike with a 5-1 stretch, the score reaching 14-7, when Bowling Green called for another timeout. 

A quick 3-0 Falcon run closed in on the gap, Michigan continued to blaze forward, taking a 20-12 lead. Despite all Falcon efforts, the Wolverines took the second set with back to back aces by Valentina Vaulet. 

Set 3: 25-19 (Michigan)

Not slowing down from the second set, Michigan jumped into the set with a 5-1 lead, forcing an early Falcon timeout. Building back strength, Bowling Green began to close the gap, 9-8. In response, the Wolverines pushed ahead with a 3-0, the score now 12-8.  

From a 3-0 run of their own, the Falcons drew the score within one point with Alexis Mettille logging an ace, 12-11. The Wolverines in turn, took charge and extended their lead 18-15, the Falcons close behind.  Michigan made another 5-1 stretch, their lead extending to 23-16 and forcing a BGSU timeout. Out of the timeout, Bowling Green logged a 3-0 run to force a Wolverine timeout.  

Michigan logged two points and eventually took the third set, 25-19. The Wolverines now lead the match 2-1.  

Set 4: 25-18 (BGSU)

Going into the fourth set, the Falcons started on top with an early 4-2 lead. Adding another three points, the Falcons forced a Michigan timeout. After a 5-2 stretch, the score extended to 9-4, Falcons on top. The Wolverines began to close the gap with a 5-1 stretch of their own, but Bowling Green was able to push forward and stay ahead 13-11.  

The Falcons kept pushing with a 4-1 stretch, the lead extending to 17-11. Michigan responded with a 5-2 stretch, closing the gap 19-16. Bowling Green pushed forward, extending the score to 21-16. Staying ahead, Bowling Green took the fourth set, 25-18.  

Set 5: 15-12 (BGSU)

To start the final set, the Falcons jumped ahead with a 3-1 lead. Shortly after, the Wolverines rallied to tie it up 3-3. From here, BG and Michigan traded points until the score reached 8-6, when the Falcons took the lead and players switched sides.  

The Wolverines logged 3-0 run forcing a BGSU timeout. Michigan briefly tied the score at 9-9, but the Falcons continued on, taking a 3-0 run of their own, extending the score to 12-9 and forcing a Michigan timeout.  

Coming from behind, the Wolverines took a 3-1 stretch to close the gap 13-12, Falcons still on top. Out of the final Wolverine timeout, the Falcons logged the last two points, taking the match.  

Leading the team in three stat categories, sophomore Lauryn Hovey contributed with ten kills, nine blocks, and three aces. Otten logged two kills and led the team with 21 assists. Putting in the work, libero Alex Laboy had 12 digs and three assists.  

This win marks the first time the Falcons have won a five set matchup on the road as well as the first time Bowling Green has defeated Michigan back-to-back. The Falcons logged nine aces, totaling 18 aces during this home and home series with the Wolverines.  

Next for the Falcon schedule, the Mid-American Conference, as Bowling Green returns home to open the MAC season in a series versus Northern Illinois on Thursday and Friday night in the Stroh. First serve is 6 p.m. for both matches.