Falcons lock down Bears in opening game of Savannah Hoops Invitational

+
Drake Harlett

Bowling Green women’s basketball is spending Thanksgiving week in Savannah, Georgia at the Savannah Hoops Invitational. The Falcons kicked off the tournament against the Mercer Bears on Thursday at noon.

Bowling Green entered the day looking to start a winning streak following a nine-point win over Xavier in their last time in action.

Amy Velasco got the scoring started with a Falcon three-pointer, 14 seconds into the game. The next points wouldn’t come until 4:46 into the game on a Mercer three from Deja Williams.

Bowling Green led 13-7 after one quarter and continued to blossom their lead to 26-13 at the halftime break.

The Falcons kept the defensive pressure up in the second half once again holding the Bears to single digits in the third quarter.

Bowling Green would go start to finish in the lead with a dominating 59-38 victory over Mercer.

Lexi Fleming was the Falcon Media Sports Network Player of the Game with a stat line of 14 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 6 steals. The freshman combination of Taya Ellis and Paige Kohler accounted for 9 rebounds a piece in a contest that saw Bowling Green haul in 41 boards.

Next up for the Falcons is a Thanksgiving morning bird battle with the Lehigh Mountain Hawks. Opening tip-off is set for 9:00 a.m. and will be broadcast on 88.1 WBGU and bgfalconmedia.com.