Wright State WBB preview: Red-hot Raiders welcome Falcons in Tuesday morning tussle

Joseph Craven, wsuraiders.com
Wright State’s Alexis Hutchison

Playing in the AM is nothing new for Bowling Green women’s basketball and on Tuesday this week, that will be no different for the orange and brown.

BGSU makes the trip down south to Dayton to face the Wright State Raiders on Tuesday, Dec. 12 at 11 a.m.

Both teams come into the contest playing solid basketball, with the Raiders being winners of six of their last seven, while BGSU suffered only their second loss in seven games so far this season last Saturday against the nationally-ranked Iowa Hawkeyes.

A look at the Raiders:

WRIGHT STATE RAIDERS:

Current Record: 6-3

Head Coach: Kari Hoffman (Third season)

Notable Hoffman Facts:

• Last year, Hoffman guided the Raiders to a four-win improvement, a Horizon League Championship quarterfinals appearance, and a 6-5 record over the program’s last 11 games.
  • The Raiders a season ago were ranked second in the country in made three-point field goals a game (10.1).
  • Hoffman joined the Raiders after serving as the head coach at Cedarville University for five seasons, where she won 106 games.

Notable Names:

• Alexis Hutchison (Sr.)- Hoffman certainly nabbed a transfer who can score the basketball, as Hutchison is coming off a season-best 32 points in the team’s 81-67 win against Eastern Illinois this past Saturday. Hoffman comes from Malone University, where in 2022-23, she was a Third Team NCCAA All-American and NCCAA Division I All-Midwest Region honoree. The native of Centerville, OH. is averaging 18.7 points a game and has knocked down 18 three-point field goals as well.

•  Lauren Scott (Soph.)- Scott is a name that Raider fans are starting to see pop up more often in the recaps. In the team’s win against Eastern Illinois, Scott was the team’s second-leading scorer with 15 points. Outside of her play on the floor, a fun fact about Scott is that she is the granddaughter of College Basketball Hall of Fame coach Gary Williams, who led the University of Maryland to it’s first ever NCAA Tournament Championship in 2002.

• Kacee Baumhower (Jr.)- The junior from Sylvania up in northwest Ohio, Baumhower is an all-around player who loves to seek contact. A season ago, Baumhower led the Raiders in free throw makes (52) and free throw attempts (79). Also a season ago, Baumhower led the Raiders in Horizon League play in points per game (11.4), and overall in the season had 19 double-digit scoring outputs.

Notable Numbers:

•  So far this season, Wright State is undefeated at home with a 5-0 record.
  •  In their last game against Eastern Illinois, the Raiders shot an even 50% from the field, as well as 46.2% from beyond the arc.
  • During the 2022-23 season. Wright State netted a school record 323 threes while also shattering a single-game school record with 18 3-pointers versus Cleveland State (1/20).

Tip-off between the Falcons and Raiders can be listened to starting at 10:45 a.m. on Tuesday on 88.1 FM WBGU. Join Brandon Loe as he has the pregame show starting then from the Nutter Center.