#16 Indiana stomps Bowling Green in non-conference finale, Fleming leaves with injury

In the world of basketball, teams like #16 Indiana typically can determine for themselves the outcomes of games against mid-majors.

Oh my goodness did they against Bowling Green.

Utilizing a 56% shooting percent from the three-point line, 14 triples as a whole, as well as holding BGSU to their season low in points, the Hoosiers thumped the Falcons earlier Friday evening 84-35 at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

The contest got off to a nightmare start for the orange and brown, as not even halfway through the first quarter, BG’s leading scorer Lexi Fleming had to be helped off the floor after suffering a non-contact injury to her lower left leg.

As understandable, the concern for Fleming is that just two years ago, she suffered a torn ACL to her right knee that ended her sophomore season just before it could get underway.

With the concern in mind, the Falcons had to find a way to battle against the major odds stacked against them, but on this night, it was just not meant to be.

The Hoosiers went into the halftime locker room up by 20 points (39-19), and in the second half showed no mercy, outscoring BG 45-16 and completely dominating in many statistical categories.

IU finished overall with a 54.5% shooting percentage compared to BG’s 23.3%. The Hoosiers also held advantages in rebounds (38-34), turnovers (11-17), and steals (7-3).

Sara Scalia headlined the night for IU on the offensive end, knocking down eight threes en route to a game-high 32 points, while future IU hall-of-famer Mackenzie Holmes added 10 points of her own.

Meanwhile for BG, Amy Velasco was the lone player in double figures with 14.

Just to add more fuel to the painful fire that was the night for BG, the Falcons were unable to knock down a three, which snapped a streak of 600 consecutive games with one, the seventh-longest streak in NCAA Division I women’s basketball. The last time the Falcons went an entire game without a made triple was on Feb. 12, 2005.

BG wraps up the non-c0nference slate of the season at 6-4, and now turns the page to the start of Mid-American Conference play, in which they will travel to Mt. Pleasant, MI to face Central Michigan on Wednesday, Jan. 3, 2024 inside McGuirk Arena.