Softball legend Mike Candrea highlights BGSU softball’s First Pitch Dinner

Mike Candrea talking about the past and coaching experiences

The Bowling Green Falcons softball team hosted their first ever First Pitch Dinner on Thursday, January 11th inside the Bowen-Thompson Student Union.

This event is a fundraiser meant to raise money for the softball team. At this event, dinner was served to the guests and head coach Candace Fenton-Bockbrader, Athletic Director Derek van der Merwe, and Hall of Fame softball coach Mike Candrea spoke to the audience. 

Candrea is a eight time national champion, 2004 Olympic gold medalist as a coach for team U.S.A. and three time national coach of the year. Candrea was inducted to the National Softball Hall of Fame in 2017.  

“When I got in the game it was just above recreational softball,” said Candrea.  “The women play the game at a very high level and I just have enjoyed watching it grow from nothing to what it is today.” 

Fenton-Bockbrader was more than thrilled to have Candrea come speak to her team and the audience at the dinner, seeing it as an opportunity to learn for herself and her team.  

“His message is always so impactful,”  said Fenton-Bockbrader. “To actually have him here embracing our program and our team and university is a surreal experience.” 

Just as excited as Fenton-Bockbrader was, the players also expressed their excitement as well, at the end of the event,  jumping in line for autographs and pictures with Candrea. 

“It’s definitely an honor to have such a legend come here and speak to us,” said freshman infielder Addie Martin. “We got the chance to show him who we are and what we stand for.” 

At the end of Candrea’s speech, he broke some news stating that he was going to leave a donation for the softball team but not stating how much.