Bowling Green loses to Central Michigan once again in overtime, 62-60, Falcon’s third straight loss.  

Lena Zielke
Marcus Hill (0) after the Falcons double overtime 77-76 loss to the Chippewas

After a 69-60 loss to Eastern Michigan, the BGSU men’s basketball team remained in Michigan, facing the Central Michigan Chippewas in a Mid-American Conference matchup. BG lost to the Chippewas 62-60 in overtime for the second time this season.  

Here’s how it went down: 

The Falcons struck first with the first points of the night from one free throw from Rashaun Agee, giving the Falcons a 1-0 lead.  

Central Michigan got right back into the game with a quick Anthony Prichard jump shot scoring the first Chippewas points of the night, now up 2-1 over BG.  

After multiple missed shots from both sides, Central Michigan’s Derrick Butler hit a three-pointer putting the Chippewas up 5-1. Bowling Green tied the contest 5-5 after a Trey Thomas jump shot and an Agee layup.  

As the half rolled on, the Falcon’s shooting got colder and colder. With the Chippewas on the verge of taking a double-digit lead, a layup from the Falcon’s Marcus Hill got Bowling Green to double-digit points, 17-11 down to Central Michigan. 

The Falcons were still unable to get momentum to change the course of the half. 

Bowling Green was ice cold during the remainder of the half with a last-second layup by Hill giving the Falcons their final points of the first half. 

At halftime, Central Michigan was up 28-17. 

Bowling Green shot 5-30 from the field in the first half and 0-10 from the three-point line. Additionally, the Falcons turned the ball over seven times.  

The second half began with a quick two-point score from Central Michigan’s Markus Harding. Hill got right back in his scoring groove with another layup, a quick recovery for BG. 

Halfway through the second half, Bowling Green was down 38-31. With things looking grim, Trey Thomas went 2/2 from the line, getting the Falcons within five points. 

As the game winded down, with the Falcons inching closer and closer to retaking the lead for the first time since the first half the Chippewas barely stayed ahead at every turn. 

Eventually, Bowling Green hit their first three-pointer of the night from Thomas, giving the Falcons a 45-43 lead with 4:50 left to play. 

Bowling Green and the Chippewas went back and forth in the intense final minutes of play. Eventually, the Falcons had a 55-54 lead with Jason Spurgin heading to the free throw line. 

Spurgin hit one of his two free throws, with Central Michigan grabbing the missed shot and finding Cayden Vasko for two quick points- tying the contest 56-56. 

The Falcons could not find a shot and headed to overtime with the Chippewas for the second time this season. 

In overtime, the Falcons, down 60-58- Agee stole the ball, finding Hill as he passed to Da’Shawn Phillip for a two-point score- tying the contest at 60-60. 

Unfortunately for the Falcons, Central Michigan’s Brian Taylor hit a layup with eight seconds remaining in the game. 

The Falcons shot 18-65 from the field and went 1-17 from the three-point line. Bowling Green’s 1-17 is their worst three-point shooting game all season and their worst since the 2013 season. 

Agee finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds. Agee went 12-14 from the line. 

Additionally, Towns grabbed 11 rebounds for the Falcons. 

Bowling Green has now lost three straight games. 

The Falcon’s record falls to 16-10 on the season and 7-6 against the MAC. Bowling Green returns to the Stroh Center for the first time in three games for the Battle of I-75 on Feb. 23 to take on Toledo.

Tip-off against the Rockets is set for 7 p.m.