BG senior earns national civic fellowship

BGSU student Danielle Cain was named a Newman Civic Fellow.
BGSU

BGSU senior Danielle Cain has been selected for a prestigious Newman Civic Fellowship, according to a university news release.

The fellowship recognizes exemplary leaders and change-makers from across the country and beyond. A BGSU student has now earned the fellowship four consecutive years.

Earlier this year, Cain, a criminal justice major from Detroit, also earned a BGSU Women of Distinction honor and was elected for a second term as the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council during the recently completed academic year.

“I would have never thought I would be named a Woman of Distinction or a Newman Civic Fellow,” Cain said.

Campus Connect, a higher-education coalition that aims to advance the public service aspect of colleges and universities, selects student civic leaders from 38 states, Washington, D.C., and Mexico to be Newman Civic Fellows, who are nominated by member presidents and chancellors.

As a Newman Civic Fellow, Cain will undertake a year-long program through which she will receive networking and educational opportunities aimed at developing civic leaders.

“Danielle demonstrates a deep understanding of how to create good through civic engagement, contributing to the communities of Bowling Green, greater northwest Ohio, and Detroit through her leadership and service,” BGSU President Rodney K. Rogers said. “Her leadership is embedded in the time and talent she invests in her communities, and she has absolutely enriched our learning community by inspiring others to pay it forward through service, as well.”

Can has been a member of the Sidney A. Ribeau President’s Leadership Academy, Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. and as an orientation leader.

“Being an Orientation leader allowed me to reach so many freshmen that were coming into the University and to help and guide them as they started college,” Cain said. “I understand that’s a big transition and I wanted to help them and give them the confidence they needed to transition into a big life change.”

Cain’s selection marks the fourth consecutive year that Campus Connect selected a BGSU student to be a Newman Civic Fellow. She joins Anthony King (2022 academic year cohort), Arianna Bustos (2023) and Kaylee Ann Ries (2024) as BGSU students who earned the prestigious recognition.