Mazey names interim Athletic Director

After Greg Christopher announced his resignation as BGSU’s Athletic Director in mid-March, BG President Mary Ellen Mazey has filled his position on an interim basis.

Mark Shook, whose previous role as the Associate Athletics Director for Compliance and Student-Athlete Services at BGSU will take over on May 3.

Shook has been at BGSU for seven years, all of which during Christopher’s term.

“In Mark’s seven years at Bowling Green, he has exhibited excellence in guiding the academic support services and compliance departments,” Mazey said in a press release. “It is evident that his leadership will provide effective direction for the athletics department during this time of transition.”

Shook began in 2006 and oversaw the comprehensive NCAA Compliance and Academic Support Services Program as well as being the sport administrator for women’s tennis. He was in charge of supervision, evaluation and overall management of the program.

“I am honored that Dr. Mazey has asked me to serve in this role,” Shook said in a press release. “I am confident that our strong team of administrators and coaches will continue to put our student-athletes first in our decision-making during this time of transition. I have been a part of many special things that have happened here at BGSU during the past seven years and look forward to the future of our department and this University.”

Prior to his services at BGSU, Shook spent four years as an academic support services advisor at Purdue.

Throughout his tenure at BGSU, Shook has been selected to attend the Sports Management Institute Executive Program in 2012 and served on the Leadership Advisory Board at BGSU. He was also inducted into Omicron Delta Kappa, the National Leadership Honor Society in 2008.

Christopher, whom Shook spent his entire BGSU tenure under, oversaw many important developments in BG athletics. Christopher helped the construction of the Stroh as well as oversaw the successes of the 17 division-I sports at BGSU, which include the women’s basketball 2007 sweet-sixteen appearance in the NCAA tournament. Christopher also helped secure the hockey program at BGSU. He will be the Athletic Director at Xavier.