Bowling Green rounds out non-conference schedule with Notre Dame

Drake Harlett
Bowling Green on the pitch against nationally-ranked Notre Dame.

Bowling Green women’s soccer took the home pitch on Sunday against the Notre Dame Fighting Irish for their last match of non-conference play. Notre Dame, ranked in the Top 10 in two out of three college soccer polls, is the highest ranked opponent the Falcons have played at Cochrane Stadium.

The first half of the match was back and forth with both teams getting chances in front of the net. Bowling Green’s best chance came on a knuckling short-distance strike from Ellie Pool, but a diving save was made by Notre Dame’s freshman goalkeeper, Atlee Olofson.

Notre Dame got on the board courtesy of a Maddie Mercado goal in the 35th minute. Meg Mrowicki would add an early second half goal to the board for the Irish and Kristina Lynch would tack on a third late in the game to make it a 3-0 final score.

For Bowling Green, freshman Taylor Green and Christine Erdman both made their first collegiate start in the match. The non-conference finale also welcomed in a new regular season attendance record crowd of 1,516 fans to Cochrane Stadium.

The Falcons now have an 11 day stretch before they begin conference play. Opening night, September 21, will be a Battle of I-75 showdown at Paul Hotmer Field to kick off the conference schedule against the Toledo Rockets, start time is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. EST.