Off the Dribble: Falcons rolling along with three-game winning streak

Max Porter
Anthony McComb III sits down after a play.

The Bowling Green men’s basketball team hit a rough patch a few weeks ago, dropping three straight contests against Oakland, Bellarmine and Western Kentucky.  

However, the Falcons have responded strong, winning three consecutive games, the latest a gutsy win in a low-scoring affair against Southern Indiana on Saturday afternoon, 54-52.  

While BG’s offense started to hit on all cylinders during the wins against Lipscomb and Canisius to close out the Northern Classic last weekend, that trend did not continue in the win against the Screaming Eagles.  

Against USI, BGSU shot just 28.6% (18-63) from the field and 23.8% (5-21) from beyond the arc.  

However, the win in Evansville, Indiana, highlighted the Orange and Brown’s defense, which, during the three-game win streak, has looked like the defense fans saw in the first two wins of the season against Chicago State and Arkansas State.  

Bowling Green shut down Southern Indiana, holding the Screaming Eagles to 31.5% (17-54) shooting from the field and 31.3% (5-16) from beyond the arc, and forced 18 turnovers.  

Throughout the three-game winning streak, the Falcons have allowed just 62.0 points per game, holding opponents to 39.9% shooting from the field and 32.3% from three-point range.   

BGSU has also forced 11.3 turnovers per game, tallying three blocks and over five steals per contest.  

While Bowling Green’s offense has been up and down all season, their defense has been consistent.   

The Falcons rank third in the Mid-American Conference (MAC) in opponent field goal percentage (41.6%) and fourth in points per game allowed (67.5).  

Now, although Bowling Green’s offense has not been as consistent as many would have liked so far this season, a few players have been heating up as of late.  

Last week, junior guard Marcus Hill was named MAC Player of the Week for his performance in the Northern Classic.  

Against Southern Indiana, he led the Falcons in scoring for the fourth straight game, finishing with 17 points, and added a season-high six rebounds and two steals.  

Senior center Jason Spurgin also scored double-digit points against the Screaming Eagles, tallying 10. Spurgin has now recorded 10 or more points in five of BG’s last six games.  

The Toowoomba, Australia, native also rejected two shots against USI, marking the third time he has recorded at least two blocks in a game this season.  

Senior guard Trey Thomas, who started the season injured, recorded his first points with BG on Saturday, finishing with six.  

The Vanderbilt transfer matched his career-high with five rebounds, adding a team-high three assists and his first steal of the season against Southern Indiana.  

Senior forward Sam Towns played a career-high 38 minutes on Saturday, scoring eight points and recording career-highs with 11 rebounds and five offensive rebounds.   

Towns ranks sixth in the MAC for rebounds per game (6.5) and field goal percentage (59.5%).   

While multiple players on Bowling Green are heating up, especially on the offensive side of the ball, the team has not even scratched the surface of their potential this season.  

Nevertheless, the Falcons have won three games in a row and have a 5-3 record.  

If this team can start firing on all cylinders by the end of December, this will be a dangerous group once conference play begins.  

However, before MAC play begins, the Orange and Brown have a four-game homestand in December, which starts with a matchup against Ohio Dominican on Sunday, Dec. 10. Tip-off for the contest between the Falcons and Panthers is set for 2 p.m.

For more information related to the team, follow us on X at @bg_fmsn.