Falcons place second on senior day, four PRs set

Seniors standing for a picture on Senior Night

Earlier Sunday, Bowling Green gymnastics placed second in a senior-day quad meet versus Eastern Michigan, Fisk, and West Virginia.

With a win over Fisk University and West Virginia, the Falcons move to a 3-5 record on the season after taking their first win last week, and with a total team score of 194.850, the Falcons have officially logged their highest score of the season on senior day.  

Bowling Green honored their seniors after the meet, as these seniors also competed in their last home meet:  

• Lauren Bannister (Vault and Floor)  
  • Megan Decious (Floor) 
  • Courtney Morrison (Bars) 
  • Sarina Ross (Beam)  

To start off the final home meet of the season, Love Akpan tied with Kathryn Weilbacher to lead the Falcons on the vault, Akpan logging her career high in the event with a 9.825 score.

In the final standings, Akpan and Weilbacher tied for second place. By the end of the first rotation, the Falcons were sitting in third place overall with a 48.675 team score.  

Moving to the bars, Bowling Green kicked off the event with Keira Thornton, who matched her career high with a 9.725 and Elise Brzoska, who also scored a 9.725.

Later in the lineup, the Falcons were represented highly by Isabella Rivelli, who scored a 9.850 and placed second in the event. After two events, Bowling Green remained in third place overall, but was beginning to close the lead between themselves and Eastern Michigan.  

Starting off on the beam for the Falcons, Emily Castiglia came short of matching her career high by just .25 of a point with a 9.800 score. Further in the rotation, Nadia Parente logged the highest score of her career with a 9.825 and Weilbacher led Bowling Green with a 9.850 in the event.

With Weilbacher’s performance on the beam, the junior tied for fifth in the event. Due to some falls and low scores on the beam this week, the Falcons remained in third place going into the final rotation.  

To open up the final Falcon rotation, senior Megan Decious scored a 9.825, tying her career high on the floor exercise. Fellow senior Lauren Bannister also made some strides on the floor, setting a new PR on the floor with a 9.800 score.

Leading the orange and brown were Decious and Thornton, both tying for fifth in the event.  

For the all-around, Akpan logged a 38.475, taking sixth place and setting a PR in the event. Leading the Falcons was Weilbacher with a 39.175, taking third place overall. 

From here, the Falcons will be on the road for the remainder of their season, first traveling to Central Michigan on Friday, Feb. 16th with a 6 p.m. start time.