Falcons drop final two games in South Carolina

Marti+Henkel+catching+the+ball.+
Keira Ellenberger, FMSN
Marti Henkel catching the ball.

Bowling Green wrapped up their first weekend tournament this season with a 1-3 record.  The Falcons lost both games of their Sunday doubleheader to the University of Louisville and Furman University. 

GAME ONE 

The Falcons were defeated by the Louisville Cardinals 11-3 in six innings. The game was much closer than the score entailed. 

To open the game The Falcons jumped on the board scoring all three of their runs in the first inning.  With a runner on second and one out, Reagan Williamson doubled off the wall to score Peyton Steffes and give the Falcons a 1-0 lead. Later in the inning, the Falcons were able to load the bases for Peyton Dolejs who singled up the middle to score two more runners to give the Falcons a 3-0 lead. 

Madi Young opened the game on the mound for the Falcons and kept Louisville off the board in the first inning.  

In the bottom of the second inning, Louisville would tie the game at three. With the bases loaded and two outs in the inning, Riley Frizell singled to right field to score two runs and make it a 3-2 Falcons lead. The next batter, Vanessa Miller singled to score another Cardinal to tie the game at three. 

Great pitching and defense held the game at 3-3 to the bottom of the sixth inning. The Cardinals continued to string hits together to take an 8-3 lead. With two runners on Ava Venturelli slugged a three-run home run to put the Cardinals up by eight to force a run-rule victory.  

GAME TWO 

Game two of the day for the Falcons was the “home” game of the season for the Falcons at a neutral site against Furman University. The Falcons fell 5-3 in a very close game that came down to the final out. 

The Paladins put two runs on the board in the first inning to get a 2-0 lead. Ashley Lykins singled up the middle to score a runner to give the Paladins a 1-0 lead. Kiley Perry hit a ground ball that scored a runner from third and Paladins went up 2-0 in the first.  

The Falcons answered back in the bottom of the second inning, Cameron Kaufman singled up the middle to score Addie Martin to cut the lead 2-1. Later in the inning, Kaufman advanced to third and Peyton Steffes scored her after grounding out the shortstop to tie the game at 2-2. 

Scarlet Anderson kept the Falcons in the game by pitching the second, third, and fourth innings without allowing a run.  

In the fifth inning, the Paladins broke the 2-2 tie by scoring two runs of their own. With the bases loaded and two outs, Sylvia Burroughs singled to score two runs to give the Paladins a 4-2 lead.  

The Falcons answered back in the bottom of the fifth inning. With runners on first and second and two outs, Katie Hutter entered the game off the bench as a pinch hitter and singled to right field to score Aaralyn Nogay to make it a 4-3 ball game.  

The game went to the seventh inning with the Paladins holding a one-run lead. The Paladins added some insurance after Kiley Perry scored a run by hitting a sacrifice fly to right field to go up 5-3. 

In the bottom of the seventh inning, the Falcons would load up the bases with two outs, putting the winning run on first base but were unable to score any runs as Furman secured a 5-3 victory.  

The Falcons continue their road-trip, on March 1st in Indiana as they will play in the Hoosier Classic.