Falcons drop doubleheader at Morehead State

Mallory Hiser, BGSU Athletics

The Bowling Green Falcons softball team dropped both games of a Thursday evening doubleheader 3-2 and 5-2 to the Morehead State Eagles. These two games increased the Falcon’s losing streak to nine straight.  

GAME ONE 

Game one was a battle of pitching and defense. Scarlet Anderson started on the mound with the Falcons. 

In the second inning, the Eagles jumped out to an early lead. After a single and two walks the Falcons found themselves in trouble with the bases loaded with no outs. Samantha Cervantes grounded into a fielder’s choice to score the game’s first run. In the next at-bat, Cervantes stole second and a throw down allowed the runner from third to advance home and score the second run of the inning. The final run of the inning scored when Taikibrea Cambell grounded out to third base allowing Cervantes to score and the Eagles jumped out to a 3-0 lead. 

The Falcons responded in the top of the fourth inning with two runs of their own. Addie Martin worked a walk then stole second during the next at-bat. Peyton Steffes reached on a fielder’s choice which moved Martin to third to put runners on the corners with no outs.  Steffes then stole a second during the next at-bat. With runners on second and third with no outs, a wild pitch allowed Martin to score from third and Steffes to advance from second. Wynnie Reid worked a walk in her at-bat to put runners on the corners. Reid was caught trying to steal second base but the throw down from the catcher allowed Steffes to score and cut the lead down to one. 

Unfortunately for the Falcons, three runs would be all the Eagles needed to take the win, defeating the Falcons 3-2.  

Scarlet Anderson kept the Falcons in the game after falling behind early but it wasn’t enough. 

GAME TWO 

In the bottom of the first inning in game two, the Eagles loaded up the bases quickly. With the bases loaded Ilencia Lightbody singled to left scoring the game’s first run. With the bases still loaded, Samantha Cervantes singled to left to score another run, but a throw from Aaralyn Nogay from left field nabbed out a runner who was trying to score from second to keep Morehead at only two runs in the inning. 

The score stood at 2-0 until the bottom of the third. With a runner on second with two outs, Cervantes singled to score another Eagle run to take a 3-0 lead.  

In the top of the fourth inning, the Falcons got one run of their own. With a runner on second, Marti Henkle doubled off the wall in left to score Peyton Dolejs and make it a 3-1 ball game. 

Morehead answered right back, scoring two in the bottom of the fourth inning. The bases were loaded up again for Morehead and Darlene Montoya singled to score two runners giving the Eagles a 5-1 lead.  

The Falcons got one run back in the top of the fifth inning. With runners on first and second, Lexi Carver singled to center field to score a run to make a 5-2 ball game. 

Due to the field not having lights, the game had to be cut early and the Falcons lost 5-2 after playing the road half of the sixth inning. 

Next up, BG will travel to Highland Heights, Kentucky, for the NKU Spring Classic from March 9th to March 10th.