Falcons sweep Titans in Saturday doubleheader

Bowling Green, OH – Game 1 Falcons freshman outfielder Kaylee Cole (99) sliding into home on a close play to score a run at Meserve Field in Bowling Green, Ohio

The Bowling Green State University Softball team swept the Detroit Mercy Titans in a Saturday doubleheader, winning the first game 5-4, and winning the second game 8-0.

GAME ONE

The Falcons took the first game of the Saturday doubleheader 5-4 in a very close game.

In the bottom of the first inning, Aaralyn Nogay got things going with a leadoff walk and then stole second base to get in scoring position with no outs for the Falcons. Later in the inning, the Falcons would be able to load the bases with one out. Marti Henkle would hit a ground ball that was bobbled by the second baseman which allowed Nogay to score from third and the first run of the game to score.

It didn’t take long for Detroit Mercy to answer back. With two outs in the top of the second inning, Avery Paul hit a solo home-run over the left field wall to tie the game at one.

The Titans added two more runs in the top of the third inning. The Titans were able to put runners on second and third with just one out in the inning. Amanda Schick grounded out to second that allowed the runners to advance and give the Titans the lead. Claire Borg then singled up the middle to score the second run of the inning and give the Titans a 3-1 lead.

Taylor Turner was the starting pitcher for the Falcons and her day finished after pitching four innings and allowing three runs to score but only one was earned. Emma Denison came into the game to pitch in the fifth inning.

The Falcons answered back with two of their own runs in the bottom of the fourth. With one out, and runners on first and second the Falcons pulled off a double steal but the throw from the catcher ended up in the outfield that allowed Kaylee Cole to score from second. With the runner on third, Wynnie Reid singled up the middle to score Taylor Behrendt and tie the game at three.

Detroit Mercy put the Falcons in trouble grabbing the lead in the sixth inning. Three straight singles from the Titans offense scored a run for Detroit Mercy to give the Titans a 4-3 lead.

Down in the sixth inning, the Falcons added two runs to grab the lead late in the game. To start the inning, the Falcons quickly put runners on second and third with no outs. Later in the inning, Delaney Davis would hit a ground ball to second base but would then reach on a fielding error allowing for the bases to be loaded with one out. Nogay hit a sacrifice fly out to left field that scored a runner from third but a throwing error by the left fielder allowed for another Falcon to score from second, giving Bowling Green a 5-4 lead.

Denison would then hold the Titans off the scoreboard in the seventh inning to secure the 5-4 win for the Falcons.

GAME TWO

The Falcons won the nightcap of the doubleheader 8-0 in five innings.

Aaralyn Nogay singled to get the game going in the bottom of the first inning. Nogay would then steal second to put herself in scoring position with no outs. Cameron Kaufman would reach on an error by the shortstop allowing Nogay to score and give the Falcons an early lead. Marti Henkle would then single up the middle to score Kaufman and put the Falcons in front 2-0.

In the bottom of the second inning, Taylor Behrendt worked a walk to lead things off for the Falcons.  Later in the inning Behrendt would steal second base to put herself in scoring position with one out. Delaney Davis would then single to the shortstop but a throwing error allowed Behrendt to score and put the Falcons ahead 4-0.

In the home half of the third inning, Behrendt recorded her first collegiate single and RBI, lining a single into right field to score a Falcon and go up 5-0.

The Falcons continued to keep the pressure on the Titans by putting two more runs on the board in the fourth inning.  The Falcons strung together three straight singles to load the bases with no outs. A wild pitch allowed the runners to advance for the first run of the inning. Kaufman worked a walk to load the bases again for the Falcons and then Lexi Carver drew a bases loaded walk for the second run of the inning making it a 7-0 ball game.

The Falcons would walk the game off in the bottom of the fifth inning, after Nogay singled to right field to score the game’s final run and secure the 8-0 run rule victory.

Mackenzie Krafcik was brilliant on the mound in the game allowing just one hit and recorded four strikeouts in the 8-0 shutout victory for the Falcons.