Softball split weekend; lost to Central Michigan, swept EMU

The Falcon softball team managed to split its weekend series, losing two to Central Michigan and sweeping Eastern Michigan.

BG started Friday against the Chippewas in a doubleheader matchup. CMU came away with both wins, 4-2 and 5-0.

In both games the Falcons were outhit, but in game one, the Falcons kept the MAC West second place team off home plate till the third inning when CMU scored two.

Central Michigan would tack on two more in the fifth before the Falcons would attempt a comeback.

BG scored two runs in the sixth, highlighted by a Hannah Fulk triple to center field. Paige Berger would hit a pitch on the following at-bat. With Katie Yoho up to bat with no outs, Berger would steal second base. Yoho would single to the shortstop driving Fulk home for the team’s first RBI.

A Chippewa error would allow Yoho to advance to second and Berger to score. Adrienne Dick would fly out, Yoho would be caught stealing third in desperation and Erika Stratton would single out to end the Falcons’ momentum. Jamie Kertes would get the loss on the complete game.

Game two saw BG outhit 9-2 and the Falcons committing two errors to CMU’s zero.

Again, the Chippewas would hold out until the third inning to score. Cory DeLamielleure singled up the middle halfway through the inning, resulting in two RBIs. BG committed an error, but were able to save face and end the inning having given up just the pair of runs.

The déjà vu would continue for both teams as CMU would again score in the fifth inning, however this time were three runs. Paris Imholz, after giving up a single and a walk, would be pulled for Kertes with two outs on the inning. Katelyn Rentschler would then homer to center field giving the Chippewas three runs.

BG wouldn’t recover from the home run and would remain offenseless the rest of the game. Imholz would be credited with the loss.

DeLamielleure, Rentschler and Trista Cox would all record two hits for the Chippewas.

The Falcons would enact their revenge after a short bus ride from CMU to Ypsilanti, Mich., to face the Eagles of Eastern Michigan.

The Eagles came into the weekend series perched at the bottom of the MAC and would leave the weekend fairing no better. BG swept EMU in two games, 4-0 and 6-1.

The Falcons would ride on the back of Yoho in game one as a fifth inning home run led to three RBIs.

BG would get on the board in the third inning with one run from Fulk on a throwing error. The Falcon defense was able to hold off the Eagles throughout the game as both teams had four hits but Kertes was able to pitch the entire game as a shutout.

The Falcons wouldn’t rely on their defense as much in game two and Imholz allowed just three hits to the Falcons’ eight.

The Eagles got on board first in the second inning with Amanda Stanton scoring on an unearned run. Jenn Lucas was credited with EMU’s only RBI on the weekend.

Fulk would nail a home run in the third inning, scoring both Emily McClelland and herself. Stratton would cross the plate in sixth on a fielding error to add to the total.

The seventh inning would be when BG did most of its damage. The Falcons would record three hits and three runs.

Berger and Fulk would score on another Eagle fielding error while Yoho would steal home, completing the inning and the series.

With the weekend, BG moves to 23-17 (7-9) and remains mid-table in the MAC East.