Softball back in MAC play, faces Ohio, Akron

The Falcon softball team will be back to Mid-American Conference play this weekend against Akron and Ohio.

“The mindset is to continue working on the processes that are working for us,” coach Shannon Salsburg said. “I think we are having much better at-bats, which has lead to better offense.”

After its past home opening series with Miami and Ball State, BG plummeted to the bottom of the MAC, going 1-3 in conference play.

“We were struggling early in the season,” Salsburg said. “I’ll include Ball State and that first game against Miami, because we simply weren’t aggressive.”

The Falcons took their frustrations out on Detroit, winning two games in commanding style thanks in part to Paige Berger.

“I think we’re still working on the small-game and advancing runners when we need to,” Salsburg said. “I love to be aggressive, but there is a point where you just have to move the runner.”

Berger had three home runs in two games, which were enough to give her the BG career record for home runs and help move plenty of runners.

Adrienne Dick, who just came back from injury, also hit two homers in game one against Detroit.

“Well, my injury still hurts a little bit, but I’m pushing through it.” Dick said. “I’m just seeing the ball; it’s big when it comes in … and I’m just taking advantage of it.”

Since her injury, Dick is batting .400.

“This is the first time I’ve been consistent since I’ve been here, and it just really builds my confidence every time I do good up to bat,” Dick said. “I’m just not thinking, and when you’re not thinking, everything seems so easy.”

Up first for the Falcons will be a doubleheader against Akron at 1 and 3 p.m.

Akron sits square in the middle of the MAC East with a 2-2 conference record and 13-14 overall. BG, who is 15-11 overall, will look to climb back up the conference ladder.

“You should just expect us to play hard,” senior Hannah Fulk said. “We’re swinging at everything and just attacking. That’s our game plan and we are just going to keep rolling with it.”

In 2012, BG swept Akron in all four appearances.

Saturday and Sunday will see games against Ohio, whose record is 17-12(2-2). The Bobcats split with the Falcons this past season, winning a game apiece.

“We have to expect to play our best against everyone and not expect anything less from anyone,” Fulk said.