Falcons lose three out of four conference games to Buffalo, Kent State

The softball team mustered one win in a weekend of doubleheaders and errors against Buffalo and Kent State.

Friday the Falcons split with Buffalo in two games losing game one 2-0 and winning game two 2-1.

Game one was led by Marisa Shook who went 2-for-3 and a double, however she wasn’t able to drive any runs in for BG.

Buffalo didn’t get on the board until the fourth inning when Sammi Gallardo, who leads the Bulls offensively this season, managed to get on base due to an error. BG would commit two errors in the inning that resulted in Gallardo and Alyssa Ward to score the only runs off of the game on just one hit.

“Our defense has been strong all year,” coach Shannon Salsburg said. “This is one of the first times I can remember that it cost us.”

BG would outhit the Bulls six to one, but would commit three errors throughout the game.

“We just killed ourselves in game one,” Salsburg said. “Our defense, which has been very very solid and don’t let us down much, cost us big, and then we just didn’t hit in our runners.”

Pitcher Jamie Kertes was credited with the loss, despite giving up no earned runs.

“When you throw a one hitter and lose by two runs, that kind of tells the story. I thought [Kertes] had an outstanding game. They hit just one ball to the outfield”

BG would get some redemption in game two due in part to Katie Yoho’s performance. Yoho went 2-for-3 with a homerun and two RBIs. Paige Berger went a perfect 2-for-2 with a double and run scored.

In the third inning, Berger would hit to right field earning herself her double. Yoho came up next to the plate and drove them both home giving the Falcons their only two runs of the game.

Buffalo would answer in the fourth with a run but Kertes’s pitching sealed the game for the Falcons, earning herself the win and the split on the day.

“It was nice to come back, the pitching was there today,” Yoho said. “Jamie did a great job coming in and we just picked it up the second game.”

The Bulls would outhit the Falcons in game two, 7-5.

The errors would continue to plague the Falcons during their doubleheader against Kent State. The first game, scheduled for Saturday, was postponed due to rain to Sunday.

BG would commit four errors in game one against the Golden Flashes.

Kent State would waste no time getting on the score sheet earning a run in the first inning due in part to a BG error.

The Falcons would get the run back in the second off of Fink single to left field sending Giordano home for BG’s only score of the game.

Kent State would then take command earning two runs in the third inning and a run in both the sixth and the seventh innings for a total of five runs.

Imholz would earn the loss off two innings pitched allowing five hits.

Kent State would complete the sweep Sunday afternoon in game two winning 1-0.

The lone run came in the first inning for the Flashes to leave the rest of the six innings uneventful.

BG would muster three hits to the Flashes four in the game as the Falcons’ defense played their second clean game of the weekend by committing no errors.

Kertes was credited with the loss and sits at 8-9 on the season while the Falcons sink to 21-14 (5-6) moving them deeper in the MAC East standings.

The Falcons will look to regroup against Central Michigan, 21-12 (7-2), on Friday in a doubleheader.