Falcons didn’t make it far in the MAC despite having a winning season

Falcons+Softball
unknown
Falcon’s Softball

The falcon softball team’s season came to an end after a loss to the Toledo Rockets in the MAC tournament on May 9, but the team ended the regular season with a record of 27-24.

The softball team had a 1-2 MAC record. They won their first game against the Ohio Bobcats and lost their second game to the Central Michigan Chippewas before falling short against the Rockets in the double-elimination tournament, according to BGSU-Athletics Communications press release.

There is a lot to look forward to in the upcoming season, despite the turnout of the MAC tournament, said sophomore pitcher Jamie Kertes.

“We definitely didn’t end the way we wanted to with how the tournament turned out, but we are just going to have to come back stronger than we did,” Kertes said.

Kertes, who went 11-14 this season, was named to the All-MAC First team for the second time and led the team with 108 strikeouts and five saves in the 2012 season, according to www.bgsufalcons.com.

The MAC tournament was the last opportunity for some players to play for the Falcons.

Senior shortstop, Hannah Fulk, tried to enjoy every last moment she had on the field with the softball team,

“It did not sink in at first that I only had so many games left to play softball,” Fulk said. “I tried to take full advantage of my time on the team.”

Fulk broke two single-season records by leading the team with 15 home runs and 52 walks in the 2012 season. She also led the team in runs scored (52), slugging percentage (.678), total bases (116), batting average (.327), on-base percentage (.463), triples (2) and total plate appearances (220), according to www.bgsufalcons.com.

Along with Fulk, five other seniors will be leaving the team before the start of next season, including: Paige Berger, Andrea Arney, Jessica Odell, Courtney Cox and Adrienne Dick.

Replacing the players leaving and making sure the new recruits will be ready for the upcoming season is a priority for the softball team, said Kertes.

She also said working toward being together as a whole will be decisive in next years success.

“We need to show them how we do things and bring them in as part of our family,” Kertes said. “We need to come together in clutch innings and be there for each other when we have to.”