Women’s soccer falls to Penn State in the first round of NCAA Tournament

The Falcons played the Penn State Nittany Lions in the first round of the Women’s Soccer NCAA Tournament, and lost 4-1 to the BIG 10 Champions. This loss ends the Falcons’ season.

The score line may look bad, but the match was better than the score may show. However, the first half didn’t go well for the Falcons at the beginning. It began with the Nittany Lions having almost all of the possession, and the Falcons only touching the ball to clear it away. The Nittany Lions were able to break through with their first goal in the 10th minute, after Charlotte Williams hit a ball at the top of the 18 yard line to make it 1-0 for the Nittany Lions. The score would double for the Nittany Lions in the 14th minute when Alina Ortega-Jurado flicked the ball into the back of the net after a corner kick. However, the Falcons wouldn’t stay scoreless for long, as they got the ball into the back of the net. In the 21st minute, Erica Hubert shot the ball from just inside the 18 yard box, and after a slight deflection from the Nittany Lions keeper, went into the net. It was also assisted by Nikki Cox.

In the second half, the Falcons played like the better team for most of the half. Unfortunately, that good play didn’t show up on the score board. The Falcons started off the half like they were ready to score goals, and they almost did a couple times. But, the team wasn’t able to, and the Nittany Lions capitalized on one of their chances. In the 65th minute, right after a free kick where goalkeeper Kathleen Duwve misplayed the ball, Marissa Sheva for Penn State was able to put the ball into the back of the net, making the score 3-1. This goal really took the wind out of the sails for the Falcons, and was basically the end of the match for them. A few minutes later, Penn State would put another ball into the back of the net after a defensive challenge turned into a foul, leading to a penalty kick. Emily Ogle for Penn State stepped up and scored to make it 4-1. After that goal, Coach Matt Fannon started to put the backups into the match, ending the Falcons’ hopes for a win.

Fannon commented on his overall feelings of the match, as well as his thoughts during certain points during it.

“I think we knew that we were gonna come in and have a tough day and I think that the truth of it is that once we had realized we were playing against humans, and started playing our own game, and really got into the game and really settled down, we were already 2-nil down, and that’s obviously not a place you can ever be,” He said. “With our disallowed goal, we could have been went in 2-2 at halftime, which overall, would have been a fair enough reflection. I think in the second half, to be honest with you, we were the better team, and we controlled most of it. The problem we found was we made two mistakes. We got punished for both of them and the game was over at that point. The truth is I’m really proud of the team. I’m not sure I could have asked for too much more and then moving forward, I think the experience of playing in these big games will really help our returning players for hopefully doing something similar next year.”

Fannon’s comments above show that he sees a lot of potential in the team, and that even though the score didn’t look good, the body of work they had during the match was great. Fannon did mention, however, what he thought was a difference between the two teams.

“I think today the difference was experience, to be honest with you, in the big moments and again we made two mistakes,” He said, “… We certainly aren’t going to take anything away from Penn State and wish them the best going forward but I really think there were moments in the game, today, when we really showed the class we had. Unfortunately, we didn’t do quite enough.”

The MAC Offensive Player of the Year, Erica Hubert, also talked about her thoughts of the match, and what she sees the team doing moving forward.

“As Matt said before, once we got the nerves out, we were able to just move the ball around and I think it was a really good learning experience for the team,” She said. “I mean, I know I took a lot out of this game. Everyone still works as hard as they can, and they know that next year they’re gonna come out strong too.”

Hubert also talked about the rise of women’s soccer at the University, and how she has seen that rise firsthand.

“I mean, when I first came to the program, honestly, we didn’t have a win,” She said. “Then to leave the program where it is now, with going to the finals last year, winning this year and coming to the NCAA Tournament. I know the program’s in good hands.”

The women’s soccer season may have ended, but that just begins the next season of recruitment, and preparations for spring. The season is just beginning.