Volleyball team honored, announces 2023 promotions

Mallory Hiser
The Falcons won the Mid-American Conference volleyball championship in 2022. (Photo courtesy BGSU Athletics)

Extending the second-longest streak in NCAA’s Division I, for the 23rd consecutive year and 24th total year, the Bowling Green State University Volleyball program has earned the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Team Academic Award. To qualify for the award sponsored by the United States Marines Corps, teams must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.3.

Not only did the Falcons accomplish that, they are only one of 45 teams to earned the Honor Roll distinction as part of the top 20% of team GPAs in Division I. This is the fourth season the Falcons have been named to the AVCA Academic Honor Roll, previously receiving the honor in 2018, 2020 and 2022.

BGSU’s 23-year streak is tied for the second longest in Division I, tied with Toledo, and behind only Indiana State (25 years). Overall, this award marked the 24th in program history for the Falcons, ranking third among NCAA Division I programs.

“We are extremely proud of our team’s commitment and hard work required for achieving academic excellence,” said head coach Danijela Tomic. “Being in the top 20 of the team GPAs in the NCAA Division I and having an impressive 23-win streak while also winning championships speaks volumes about the character of our outstanding student-athletes.”

Earlier this week, the athletic department announced promotions for the upcoming season, including Orange Waves for matches against Michigan (Sept. 6) and Toledo (Oct. 6)  and Senior Night (Nov. 11). Find the full list of promotions on the athletics department website.