Porchfest: Nearly 20 bands, 1 neighborhood, 1 afternoon

Porchfest returns to Bowling Green for its fourth year, featuring nearly 20 bands on Saturday, June 8 at homes in the westside neighborhood between Eberly and Gorrell Avenues.

This year’s event will kick off at 1:45 p.m. with Samba Bateria, labeled as ” fun, upbeat BGSU Falcon Marching Band,” marching down Hankey Street toward Eberly Avenue, according to the BG Porchfest website. The Illegal Smiles then begin the festivities in earnest at 2 p.m., with a planned 45-minute set at 200 Eberly Ave. Shows then begin every 15 minutes at 13 locations across the neighborhood, the last being Freight Street who play at 208 Eberly Ave. beginning at 6:15 p.m. In all, 19 bands are scheduled to perform.

According to the event’s website, “The event is open to everybody and free to attend, with complimentary parking and no admission fee. However, we kindly encourage you to consider tipping the bands, as they do not receive any other form of compensation for their participation.”

BG is one of many towns that have adopted the Porchfest model. The original event happened in Utica, New York in 2007 and there are now 187 Porchfest events across the country, with Bowling Green being one of seven in Ohio.