Softball back home for four game stand

Despite having the best overall record in the MAC East, the softball team is having some conference woes as it find itself mid-table.

A rough 1-3 opening weekend had the Falcons starting at the bottom of the table. But after being swept by Ball State and splitting with Miami, BG has posted a 7-1 record.

The wins have included sweeps of Detroit, Akron and Valparaiso and a split with Ohio.

The MAC wins have moved the Falcons back into contention with the opportunity this weekend to continue their progress.

The Falcons will face Buffalo in a doubleheader Friday and host a weekend series with Kent State on Saturday and Sunday.

Kent State currently leads the MAC East with a 16-13 (6-2) record while Buffalo anchors the division with a 10-22 (3-5) record. BG is boasting a 20-12 (4-4) record early in MAC play.

This past season, the Falcons swept the Bulls while splitting a doubleheader with the Golden Flashes.

Buffalo is lead offensively by Alexis Curtiss, who is the only Bull to have hit the .300 mark in batting average. Curtiss is hitting .319.

Sammi Gallardo lead the Bulls with six home runs this season with the next best having hit just two.

Buffalo was swept by Akron in late March and split a series with Ohio.

Kent State, like BG, swept Akron and split with Ohio.

The Flashes are lead offensively by Kim Kirkpatrick who is batting .304 and is also the only Kent State player above the .300 mark with over 20 at bats.

Kirkpatrick also leads the team with three home runs.

BG brings two players to the plate with above .300 batting averages in Paige Berger and Hannah Fulk. Adrienne Dick and Erika Stratton are batting close with .283 and .273 averages respectively.

The Falcons have hit a total of 22 home runs, this season led by Katie Yoho with five and Berger with four. Marissa Shook, Chloe Giordano, Andrea Arney and Dick have all hit two apiece while Fulk has tallied three.

BG also brings two strong pitchers to the mound. Paris Imholz (13-4) has won three MAC player of the week awards and Jamie Kertes (7-7) has improved on her slow start with MAC play.

The games will all be in Bowling Green with the first game starting at 1 p.m. on Friday. Friday is also bark-in-the-park and dogs are encouraged to attend. The Saturday game with Kent State will start at 2 p.m. and the teams will take the field again on Sunday at 1 p.m.